Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Goerz Dagor 19" Lens

Goerz Dagor 19" Lens

Looking for any info on this lens, for curiosities sake.

Goerz Dagor S/N 396151 (same number front and back)

Other info on the front ring:

f 7.7 FOCUS 19"

I am guessing that this is made in the US, since the focal length isn't in MM. One of a number of old lenses aquired when I took over an old studio. Thanks for any information!

Re: Goerz Dagor 19" Lens

Nice find! Loads of coverage & highly valued by 8x10, 11x14 & even 12x20 guys. Goerz serial numbers/date are listed in the LF Homepage you can access by clicking the blue banner at the top of this page.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

A picture is worth a thousand words...

A 19" f:7.7 Dagor is a nice lens. It should also have more writing, like "Series III NoX" etc.

Cheers, Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hamley View Post
    A picture is worth a thousand words...

A 19" f:7.7 Dagor is a nice lens. It should also have more writing, like "Series III NoX" etc.

Cheers, Steve
    Not neccesarily, they were marked just as the OP described up to 750,000~

Nice find!
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

In a shutter or a barrel lens? Pictures are nice to include, if only to induce drooling...
    They are ill discoverers that think there is no land, when they can see nothing but sea.
    -Francis Bacon

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Not neccesarily, they were marked just as the OP described up to 750,000~

Nice find!
    My (pre WWI) 14" Dagor is serial number 220,xxx and reads; "SERIES III No 7 FOCUS 14 IN." then further around the rim; "GOERZ DAGOR F 7.7"

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    My (pre WWI) 14" Dagor is serial number 220,xxx and reads; "SERIES III No 7 FOCUS 14 IN." then further around the rim; "GOERZ DAGOR F 7.7"
    Yep. I have 3 or 4 marked like that. But in the range of the OP's number and up, they were marked as he described. No "Series III", no "No ?". They sometimes had the patent # as well, up to about 235,000 or so. Yours should have the patent # if it is 220xxx.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Yep. I have 3 or 4 marked like that. But in the range of the OP's number and up, they were marked as he described. No "Series III", no "No ?". They sometimes had the patent # as well, up to about 235,000 or so. Yours should have the patent # if it is 220xxx.
    Oh, from that number UP...I get it now. Yeah, mine has a serial number and a Pat. No. in between the other, alphabetic text.

The real value of a 19" Dagor is the enormous coverage, up to 20X24 inches (not cm). See post #6 here: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ght=20x24+lens
    Of course it would be quite usable on any of the "smaller" formats - 11X14, 12X20, 14X17. I would imagine there are ultra-LF guys out there who would love to buy or trade for your lens. 19" Dagors do sell on eBay now and then. I seem to remember a Berlin barrel one within the last few months, but I don't recall the selling price. I suspect around $500 US. It was a really old one, and may have had some issues with the glass. I would think an American 19" in decent condition should sell for a minimum of $600, probably more. I imagine there are online dealers asking 2 or 3 times that price, if they have a 19" in stock. APUG has an ultra-LF forum: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum187/ Searching there may bring up more information.
    Goerz still showed the 19" FL in their 1951 catalog, but I wonder what year they actually made the last one?

Len

one recently sold here on the forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ighlight=dagor

Quote Originally Posted by Kerik Kouklis View Post

The second item is a 19" f/7.7 Goerz Dagor in a Compound shutter. This is a pretty rare lens in this focal length. I'd buy it if I hadn't recently sold my 14x17 camera. The slow speeds are off, so the shutter should get a CLA to work properly. The glass is in great shape. This lens will cover just about anything! Asking price is $1,800.

Continued below...