Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hmmm...Move "up" to 11x14, or stick with 8x10?

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Re: Hmmm...Move "up" to 11x14, or stick with 8x10?

Personally, I don't really understand wanting to move up. You have a 4x5 and 8x10 setup and a sweet scanner (I know, because I have the same one). To me, it sounds like you are set. And if I remember correctly from older posts you acquired this scanner in the last 6 months or so. It surprises me that you would want to trade it in this soon.

That being said, I have to admit that I don't shoot black and white, so the allure of contact printing is not the same for me. Don't get me wrong part of me wants to make large black and white contacts, there is a simple elegance to the process, and the results can be amazing. But I think 8x10 is amazing too. It's a good mix of portability and quality. The equipment is easier to find and cheaper, and there are still film options, including color neg and transparencies.

But I guess the my real concern is that you would be trading in some of you 8x10 stuff and your scanner. I know from experience (not much though as I am not much older than you) that every time I trade in equipment for something 'better' I regret it. Happened with my Leica M6, and my first Mamiya 7ii. I will never be able to get such a deal on a Leica again, i miss it. The only time I have sold equipment and been happy was when I sold my 5DMkII setup to fund my DPL800. I have no regrets, though it has been less than a year so there is always time for regret to set in, though I don't think it will in this case. I guess what I am saying is by all means try 11x14, sound like a lot of fun, just be careful about selling off gear that you will want later. Or hell, just get serious an go for 16x20 or 20x24....skip all that junk in between...
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Deardorff Sales and service

I've done all of them. 8x10 through 14x17. Then I got a very cheap Fotar 10x10 enlarger and my view of the world changed. I started enlarging my 8x10 negs and it is wonderful. See who has a LF enlarger and visit.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Big Negs Rock!

Hello Ken, I also have a 10x10 enlarger and enlarge my 8x10 negs. I love it. I've actually thought about getting rid of my 11x14 because I'm not using it. My V8 is my go to camera.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Daniel,

Like you, after seeing Weston's prints, I didn't want to use an enlarger anymore.

Why don't you take up Mark's offer and see? All the four lenses you mentioned will cover up to 16x20", even the 14" Dagor will not give you much movement on 16x20". But be warned: ULF is addictive. I know a 11x14 photographer whose 810 camera is collecting dust and he is thinking of moving up to 14x17.

Hey, I am twice your age and lugging a 16x20 camera around. You will shoot fewer sheets of film than your 8x10 for sure, but the view on the ground glass, not saying the developed negs and prints, are just breath taking.

Hugo

LF/ULF Carbon Printer Jim Fitzgerald's Avatar

Dan, I'll chime in. When I built my 14x17 I find that I shoot it as much or more than my 11x14. I loved the 11x14 print size and this is why I built the 11x14. Then the bug bit me hard and I built the 14x17. The 14x17 carbon prints that I do Have "presence" to them IMHO. If I had the money to buy a 14x17 it would be a Chamonix but my camera is fine. I'm almost 3 times as old as you are and I backpack with my 14x17. There are several of us ULF guys that are local. Let me know.

hey all,

well I sent a PM to Mark to see about meeting up to see his Chamonix in-person. Currently waiting to hear back.

I know I will NOT go any larger than 11x14 if I were to step up from 8x10. Its primarily a space issue, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not a "backpacker", usually I work from the car, but have been known to walk 1-2mi from the car, if I've already scouted something out before returning with the camera, or have pre-planned a particular photograph.

For the time being, I'll continue to use my 8x10, until I've either saved up enough to splurge on a nice folding 11x14 camera(such as a Chamonix, V11 or similar type) and a 4-5 holders.

Someone I know personally has called me a "fart in the wind" in terms of my equipment, I think he's right . I hate it even thought its true...

-Dan

Deardorff Sales and service

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Woods View Post
    Hello Ken, I also have a 10x10 enlarger and enlarge my 8x10 negs. I love it. I've actually thought about getting rid of my 11x14 because I'm not using it. My V8 is my go to camera.
    I print with a 12 inch APO Artar. I zeroed in the base board to lens stage to neg carrier for nearly a week. once that was done it was a snap and with good old fashioned dektol I get great prints. Now I'm building a new carrier that will pull the neg flat without a glass.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Just remember that when you start shooting 11x14", everything gets bigger and bulkier. You need larger processing trays and a place to use them, more storage space for negs and prints, smaller prints aren't a practical option when you decide "this would make a good 5x7" (dupe on a smaller format or scan, lacking an 11x14" enlarger with enough bellows for reductions), a larger light table to inspect and retouch negs (if you do that), and even your rejects will require a larger garbage can. The kit is also much bigger and harder to lug around. I can put my 8x10" Gowland in a knapsack with holders, lenses, and the usual accessories, and hike for a few miles, but I don't feel I can do that with my 11x14" American Optical camera, even though it's pretty light for an 11x14".

If you REALLY want to do something then do it now while your young, healthy and free from other responsibilities. Don't let anything hold you back. Any year now... or even months from now... your entire future... and therefore your PRESENT can change permanently. You might never get the chance again. If you do make this decision then make up your mind right now that you'll not regret it and to live with the consequences both good and bad. Yeah... maybe my BS is boot deep.

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

I have owned and used a 30x40cm (12x16") camera, and it was just too big for my taste.

The biggest I have now is 24x30cm (9 1/2 x 12"). That's the same size as most of the enlarged prints I make; I have very rarely used larger print sizes than that.