Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hmmm...Move "up" to 11x14, or stick with 8x10?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hmmm...Move "up" to 11x14, or stick with 8x10?

Hey guys,

I've been shooting a lot of MF(Hasselblad) lately, and have been enlarging the majority of my b/w onto 11x14 paper. Been going through Ilford WT FB like its water ! The past 3 weeks or so, every time I pick up a 11x14 piece of paper, I've thought "why not try out 11x14 film?

But then I get to thinking some more. That would mean I'd need to sell my 8x10 camera, at least 1/2 my 8x10 holders(that's about 11 holders), buy 4-5 11x14 holders(preferably Fidelity's), and a camera. I really like the Phillips design, but the 11x14 reversible(Compact II model, IIRC) is rarer than hen's teeth it seems, and damned expensive! Not to mention get a scanner that can handle 11x14 film(hence my interest in trading my drum scanner for an Eversmart Supreme II)

Does anyone here in the LA area have an 11x14 I could meet up with you to see in-person, to see if this is something I'd like to partake in pursuing?

My main reasons for going to 11x14 would be that

1. I like the larger negative(primarily to contact print b/w)
    2. I can still use 8x10 for when I'd like to shoot color, but with an 8x10 reducing back.

Am I crazy to think this way? I'm 24, not made of money(yet at least ), but have compiled a nice kit of lenses that for the most part, can cover 11x14 with movements(14" 7.7 Dagor, 450mm Nikkor-M, 24" RDA, 30" RDA). Although I purchased them with the intention of using them with 8x10. Most people my age would rather hang out with friends(I don't really have any, honest) and drink beer. I'd rather make photographs and camp out.

I don't shoot a "lot", but looking at 11x14 contact prints of Brett Westons(Carmel, CA, for a Christopher Burkett show) has me entranced, and shooting MF as my "light camera" would be a nice complement for when I need more frames quickly.

help!

-Dan

Big Negs Rock!

Re: Hmmm...Move "up" to 11x14, or stick with 8x10?

Hello Dan, I have an 11x14 Chamoix with Fidelity holders and some lenses. Contact me and I can break it out for you.
    Mark Woods

Large Format B&W
    Cinematography Mentor at the American Film Institute
    Past President of the Pasadena Society of Artists
    Director of Photography
    Pasadena, CA
    www.markwoods.com

Are you into gear or making photographs? I ask because you seem to trade a lot of stuff. The best approach would be only to change when you have absolutely exhausted the potential of what you have already. I am guessing there is plenty of room for growth in yer britches.

Dan,

I'd skip 11x14 and go to 14x17. Most of your lenses (stopped down) will cover that format. Check with Hugo Zhang: there are photographers in S Cal that shoot 14x17.

Obviously not cheap, in terms of equipment and film, but 14x17 contact prints seem to me to be the best compromise in the ULF world, in terms of bulk, weight, etc.

Bill

David J. Heinrich

If you really like it, go for it. Of course, as with every size up, everything gets more expensive. Want to scan in your film? Can't do it with the V700 and 11x14; you need Epson's very expensive 10000XL - Graphic ($2500) or Photo ($3000) scanner for larger sizes: http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/j...yes&oid=-16224

The Epson V700, which can do 8x10, is $500. Then there is the lack of color film, and the more limited lens selections.

I have the Nikkor-T 600/9, 800/12, 1200/18 series and also an APO-Nikkor 610/9 that was put into an Ilex 5 by SK Grimes (currently in a very nice Wehman lensboard). I have to do some comparison of the APO-Nikkor 610/9 with the Nikkor-T 600/9, but I may end up selling the 610/9 (although I have a problem as I just can't unscrew the elements form the shutter!). I've read that it has enough coverage for 11x14 and maybe 14x17, but I only know personally that it covers my 8x10.

I will have to do a comparison between the Nikkor-T 600/9 and APO-Nikkor 610/9 to see if I wish to keep the 610/9. It is a very sharp lens.

Do you have a 4x5 kit?

Personally for large prints I shoot 4x5 and enlarge it. By "large" I mean everything 11x14 and over. 8x10 is for contact printing. I was considering an 11x14 before I got an 8x10, but I am glad I got an 8x10 instead. It's just right for now.

You don't mention what you're shooting; I think that's really the question.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Daniel, why not make an 11x14 pinhole camera for paper negatives? Then you'll quickly figure out if you want to invest in, or build, an actual camera.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

11x14 is a great format! When I win the lottery, an 11x14 Deardorff & 19" f/7.7 Dagor will be on my shopping list!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by John Kasaian View Post
    11x14 is a great format! When I win the lottery, an 11x14 Deardorff & 19" f/7.7 Dagor will be on my shopping list!
    Couldn't have said it better. I just need the 19" Dagor though. (complacent smiley)

Edit - I don't have a Deardorff V11, mine's an old Hoffman.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    Do you have a 4x5 kit?...
    Yes, a Calumet CC-401(longer rail version)

Quote Originally Posted by Corran View Post
    ...You don't mention what you're shooting; I think that's really the question.
    As of right now, shooting primarily landscape and 3/4 length portraits.

Quote Originally Posted by dh003i View Post
    If you really like it, go for it. Of course, as with every size up, everything gets more expensive. Want to scan in your film?

The Epson V700, which can do 8x10, is $500. Then there is the lack of color film, and the more limited lens selections.
    Well currently I've been drum scanning on my DPL8000. The drums can support up to 8x10 maximum. Its a great scanner, but if I were to jump ship and move up to 11x14, I'd definitely like to have a scanner capable of handling the larger film, rather than scanning in chunks and stitching. Thusly, I've been looking at the Eversmart Supreme II as a replacement for my DPL8000. It has more than enough resolution for LF scanning(heck, even MF), and I can wet-mount on the bed too(can't do that with the bigger Epson IIRC). Its not a "cheap" route, but its the next best thing quality-wise after my drum scanner.

Color film in 11x14 isn't much of a concern, and I could happily shoot 8x10 for color. No worries there. I'd be happy with 11x14 b/w only. But if a s/o on Portra 400 came up in the 11x14 format, I'd probably have to buy a few boxes, despite the cost. Just in case I decide otherwise. That's a BIG "if" though.

-Dan