Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Newbie, exploring options....Advice PLEASE

Re: Newbie, exploring options....Advice PLEASE

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    He was not sure what a ratio on a lens was either. I remember reading somewhere that the f stop of a lens was a ratio of the length divided by the diameter. Did I remember that one right? Was I close? He was on the phone with me, in his garage looking at the lens in poor lighting. Had a hard time reading it.
    Well now that we know that it is a chrome 150 Carl Zeiss f4 and a Rodenstock 150 f6.3 DO these lens sound like good quality. I know the names are good but are these particular lens desirable? I forgot to ask about what shutter for the Rodenstock.
    The cameras I am sure of... I do not know about the lens.
    It also comes with a Toyo studio view camera, a Hasselblad 500C, prism view finder, 10 film holders, and a nice metal carrying case.
    Thanks, Bill
    The focal ratio of a lens is the lens's focal length divided by the diameter of the lens's opening. For a 150mm lens such as the Rodenstock you mentioned, 150mm is the focal length so a focal ratio of f/6.3 (how it's usually written,) means that the largest clear opening of the lens would be about 23.8mm. When the lens is stopped down to f/64, the lens opening would be about 2.3 mm. The practical value of this is knowing that opened to its widest, f/6.3, the lens lets a lot more light through. The image on the ground glass will be relatively bright, making it easier to compose and focus. At f/64 the image will be dimmer because the lens isn't letting very much light through (although depth of field will be greater.) For a view camera, f/6.3 is reasonably bright and should be easy to work with. In terms of quality, the f/6.3 lens was a budget lens, simpler in design and lower in cost than their larger, heavier, and more expensive plasmat designs. It's single-coated (more expensive lenses would be multi-coated,) which are anti-reflection coatings. These coatings reduce glare and increase contrast. Single coating is fine, in my humble opinion, for black and white films; if you shoot a lot of color then you may prefer a more expensive multi-coated lens. I shot for a couple of years with Fuji's version of this lens and was perfectly happy with it. I only sold it because I prefer lenses in other focal lengths.

I can't say much about the Zeiss lens because I don't know much about Hasselblads. I assume, being a Zeiss, that it's a good quality lens (they have a reputation in photographic circles.

A "studio" camera is probably a monorail; seems reasonable and that's what most Toyo cameras were, I think. Monorails aren't as desirable for carrying around out in the world because they don't fold up very compactly and they tend to weigh a bit more than folding cameras. Studio cameras were designed to be rigid as a first priority; folding cameras, generally, are designed to be portable and tend to be less rigid (although these are generalities: exceptions to all cases can be found.) You can carry a monorail around; it's just less convenient than carrying a folding camera in a backpack, that's all. I was once offered a Toyo model C monorail by a fellow at a yard sale; he hadn't heard of the Internet and was unaware of the decimation of prices digital photography had performed and so wanted a laughable price; I just politely declined. It looked like a solid, if perhaps somewhat heavy, camera. I could have made it work, I think, if I had to. I did carry a Calumet CC-400 monorail for a couple of years. The rail was a bit long and tended to get caught on things, so I sawed about 10" off and it was fine from then on. More cumbersome, yes, but also more satisfactory in others. I use a folding wooden field camera now and love it to death but there are times when I miss one or another of the features of the old Calumet.

The condition of this equipment is important and without experience it's going to be hard for you to judge. I'm of fairly easygoing outlook and probably over trusting but I've never been seriously disappointed by a seller yet, thus keeping my disposition sunny and my digestion regular. You say that you've talked to the fellow, he says that he's used it in the recent past and it works and that your instincts aren't setting off any alarms. Speaking personally for myself, that would likely be fine with me. Yes, he could perhaps get more for his stuff peddling it on Ebay but there's effort required in taking pictures and listing it and answering questions and managing the sale. Not to mention packing things so they don't get broken in shipment and finding boxes for everything, carting it to the post office... Then he has to worry about getting ripped off in payment. I think it understandable if he's willing to trade some of the price for a more convenient sale.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

Everybody thanks for your advice,
    I went today and bought it. Toyo 45D I believe it to be as described "like new condition". When it gets dark I'll get the flashlight out and check the bellows, but they seem bright shinny, supple, no signs of breaking down. The Rodenstock 150mm 6.3 does have some dust inside, but the shutter sounds good at all speeds. The blades move nicely, no rust. The camera does not have any measuring devices at all, nothing to measure length or angles. The GG looks perfect. Did not see any wear at all.

The Hasselblad on the other hand shows some cosmetic wear, but the body and film compartment seem to work fine. The lens definitely has a problem (he pointed this out to me!!!). The rear element has glue coating the outer edges, concentric rings. He said that they DO NOT show because the light rays involved in the picture are directed thru the center portion of the lens. I called a authorized Hasselbled dealer and he said that the lens is coming apart and that portion would have to be replaced. He suggested putting a roll of film thru it and see if it shows or not. Cost to repair was about $175, I believe that included the CLA of the whole lens, other parts would be extra. But what I am reading here is that this lens is single coated and not a great lens then it's probably not worth messing with. If I keep my eyes open I can probably come across a good deal on a newer lens. In the meantime just shoot B&W and play with it.
    10 film holders, a prism viewer came with the Hasselblad, and a nice metal case.

Before I start shooting (with film in the camera) I'll need to set up a darkroom. I'm reading about the color heads and variable contrast paper, IS THAT THE WAY TO GO???
    I know that once I have a 4x5 enlarger that it will do MF and 35mm. Any advice on how to go about getting an enlarger? Again thanks for helping a newbie.

Congratulations, sounds like you got a good deal. Dust in the lens is no problem, all lenses have some dust somewhere in there. Single-coating is fine. Multi-coating is a much bigger deal with small format zoom lenses because of all the elements and air-to-glass surfaces, it isn't a big deal with LF lenses IMHO.

I don't know that color heads and VC paper are THE way to go but they're certainly a good way.

Enlargers are usually very inexpensive these days. The biggest problem is shipping, the cost of which can exceed the cost of the enlarger. So if possible try to find something within driving distance - Craig's List is a possible source as are newspaper classifieds. If there's a camera club in your area you might ask around there too. If those sources fail then try the usual on-line sources, e.g. ebay, the classifieds in this forum, KEH, B&H, Adorama (used departments),etc. and be prepared to pay for the shipping. Since you'll be starting from scratch and will need lens(es), trays, grain focuser, easel, washer, and all the myriad little things that make up the typical darkroom you might try to find someone who's selling a complete darkroom. That can save a lot of time and money.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

If you've never cleaned a lens please don't attempt it yourself. Inexperience can turn a fine lens into a dog... or at least severely damage resell value.

Bill, I would look for an old Omega D2 or D3 enlarger on Craigslist. People practically give them away.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Bill, I would look for an old Omega D2 or D3 enlarger on Craigslist. People practically give them away.
    So true! But all the little pieces ain't cheap when bought individually. if you go the D2 (or DII) route try and find one that comes with the lens carriers and lens cones for the formats you'll be shooting.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Thanks everyone,
    O&F what do you mean? Lightly cleaning the surface of a lens I do whenever it needs it, no problem. Are you talking about disassembling the lens, I'd never do that.
    There is a camera club in my area and it meets tomorrow night, I'll be there.
    D2 or D3 is recommended, I'll look them up and be on the lookout for one. I definitely would like someone who is selling everything, complete darkroom. I bet I'll be able to find one.
    Now to get the better half to part with the hall bathroom!!! Question, do the chemicals stain sinks and floors?

Bill... All I mean is that cleaning gritty dust that's accumulated over time can be stubborn and is more difficult to clean so it requires some finesse in order to avoid damaging the coatings, especially older/softer ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    Thanks everyone,
    O&F what do you mean? Lightly cleaning the surface of a lens I do whenever it needs it, no problem. Are you talking about disassembling the lens, I'd never do that.
    There is a camera club in my area and it meets tomorrow night, I'll be there.
    D2 or D3 is recommended, I'll look them up and be on the lookout for one. I definitely would like someone who is selling everything, complete darkroom. I bet I'll be able to find one.
    Now to get the better half to part with the hall bathroom!!! Question, do the chemicals stain sinks and floors?
    I think Old probably means disassembling, cleaning the lens surface is a common procedure and creates no problems if done correctly.

Liquid darkroom chemicals do tend to stain sinks and floors. No need to write a treatise about which ones do what to what (which I couldn't do anyhow). The best practice is to wipe them up right away if they spill and try to keep them from routinely sloshing out of trays onto sinks, counters, etc. Some will stain no matter what you do (e.g. Amidol).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks,
    I just spend 3 years remodeling this house. 4 bathrooms all now with granite counter tops, natural stone/tile floors, etc... I do not have a basement, laundry room is small with huge window, also granite counter, and tile floors. I do not want to stain anything. Any suggestions, garage has water but no drain. Also I am on a septic tank system, does that matter?
    How do other people do it? My memories of the dark room had dripping going on everywhere!
    Are the chemicals toxic to plants? I could push a drain out the garage wall into a flower bed, unless it would kill the plants.
    Any suggestions?