Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Newbie, exploring options....Advice PLEASE

Re: Newbie, exploring options....Advice PLEASE

Keep in mind that what I was describing were lenses at their worst. In truth, cameras are pretty rugged machines and lenses aren't really all that delicate. Many of the most revered images from classical photography were taken with lenses we wouldn't bother with today; even badly scratched lenses can be useful for some purposes. The chances are that most or all of this stuff is in operable condition, at which $600 for the lot is a very good price. One might even argue that the Hasselblad body and film back alone are worth that, or that the Toyo camera, lens, and film holders if in good condition, might be worth that alone. It's really a judgment call needing some experience and knowledge to make with confidence, and even then luck may run against you (Yes, Chrysler, I am thinking of that piece 'o junk 1981 Plymouth Horizon I bought new off the showroom floor and was thrilled to sell 12 months later at a loss. What utterly contemptible junk!)

Fortunately, even a gross mistake buying a camera doesn't have the same consequences as choosing a second-rate discount eye or heart doctor. Whatever is broken or out of adjustment, if anything, can usually be adjusted and fixed. You'll likely be fine.

Mike
    Politically, aerodynamically, and fashionably incorrect.

This sounds to me like one of those "too good to be true" deals. A Toyo field camera in good cosmetic and working condition alone should sell for $600. Either your seller doesn't know what he has or, more likely, he knows exactly what he has and plans to foist it off on you.

Given your inexperience with the equipment and apparent lack of knowledge (no offense intended) about how to examine and test for defects, I'd either forget it or at least buy it with the right to return so you have time to do some testing. And if I did the latter then I'd make sure I knew where the seller could be found. $600 is a lot of money to throw away if it turns out the stuff doesn't work right. Repairs on old equipment can be impossible (no parts) and even if possible can be very expensive, especially Hasselblads.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Thanks everyone for the information. I called and the Toyo comes with a 150 Rodenstock f6.3 to f64 lens he said a ratio of 6:3 I do not know what a ratio in a camera lens means.
    The Hasselblad comes with a chrome 150 Carl Zeiss f4 to f32 ratio of 1:4
    Again he said everything is in good condition and works. The Toyo is a studio camera. Said the bellows is in fine condition.
    He does not know if the lens are coated or not. He uses the cameras occasionally and has owned them for a long time. Last time he used the Toyo was earlier this year.

Question for the 4um, Toyo being a studio camera and I plan on mainly landscapes and some studio, how is a studio view camera different from an "Outdoor" type of view camera?
    I will meet this guy on Sat morning.

Thanks everyone.

The seller is BS-ing. He has no idea what he's talking about. What does this mean to you as a buyer? Could be good. Could be bad.

Most things in life are a balance between educated guesses and gambles. If you're willing to throw the dice then good luck. It all depends on your gut-feeling and how much you can afford to lose vs. how much you might gain.

O&F, what makes you say that? I got to admit that I did not get any negative 'vibs' during the 2 short conversations.

What makes me say that is... the only "ratio" the f/stop that lens has is 1:6.3, not 6:3.

If you get "good vibes" from the seller... and if you trust your instincts... then maybe it's a good gamble. Only you can take that gamble.

He was not sure what a ratio on a lens was either. I remember reading somewhere that the f stop of a lens was a ratio of the length divided by the diameter. Did I remember that one right? Was I close? He was on the phone with me, in his garage looking at the lens in poor lighting. Had a hard time reading it.
    Well now that we know that it is a chrome 150 Carl Zeiss f4 and a Rodenstock 150 f6.3 DO these lens sound like good quality. I know the names are good but are these particular lens desirable? I forgot to ask about what shutter for the Rodenstock.
    The cameras I am sure of... I do not know about the lens.
    It also comes with a Toyo studio view camera, a Hasselblad 500C, prism view finder, 10 film holders, and a nice metal carrying case.
    Thanks, Bill

All I can say is I would probably take the gamble. If most of it is just "decent" shape then it's worth more than the guy's asking. If it's all in great shape then you've made one heck of a deal.

If the stuff is in good shape, you shouldn't loose any money. A good Hassy 500C with back and lens is a bargain for $500 (or at least was, before digital took the wheel) I had a 500C and it kept jamming on me---irritating to no end! I replaced it with a Rollei tlr "T"---I'm stuck with one lens but i couldn't afford the Hassy "system" of lenses anyway. Your experiences will likely be different.
    As for the 4x5, most monorails are certainly portable outside the studio---some more so than others--- all will be good for working out of the trunk of your car but probably not for serious backpacking unless it was designed to that.
    If all you want is a monorail, you should be able to find a good Calumet 400 or Graphic View 2 for about $100+, a used Tiltall tripod for $70, a modest stack of holders for $40, and a used 150 or 210mm lens for $150+/- so for around $350 you can get yourself a good kit and if you want to move to a different camera later, you'll already have your lens, tripod & holders. With you seller's kit, you could freseeably sel te Hassy for $500 if its in decent condition (check prices!) so you'll end up spending only $200 for your monorail kit---that would be a $150 savings (which will buy a lot of 4x5 film & chemicals or even an old Omega D2!)
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Bill, 70's military B&W View Post
    Thanks everyone for the information. I called and the Toyo comes with a 150 Rodenstock f6.3 to f64 lens he said a ratio of 6:3 I do not know what a ratio in a camera lens means.
    The Hasselblad comes with a chrome 150 Carl Zeiss f4 to f32 ratio of 1:4
    Again he said everything is in good condition and works. The Toyo is a studio camera. Said the bellows is in fine condition.
    He does not know if the lens are coated or not. He uses the cameras occasionally and has owned them for a long time. Last time he used the Toyo was earlier this year.
    Question for the 4um, Toyo being a studio camera and I plan on mainly landscapes and some studio, how is a studio view camera different from an "Outdoor" type
    of view camera?
    I will meet this guy on Sat morning.

Thanks everyone.
    The fact that the Toyo is a studio camera means it's a metal monorail, which means it's big, heavy, cumbersome, and not well-suited to being used outdoors if you plan to do any walking around. If you buy it I'd suggest doing so with the thought that it will be a learning experience and plan to later replace it with a
    good field camera (generally lighter, easier to set up and take down, more compact) if you find that you really like LF photography.

Without knowing the model it's hard to set a price for sure but many of these types of cameras sell for around $150 on ebay. They were mostly used by pros who have switched to digital. But assuming a $150 value that would mean you're paying $450 for everything else, which would be a good deal if it's all in good condition and works correctly. I'd still be very leery of paying $600 for all this stuff given your relative lack of knowledge and experience with this kind of gear but if you do at least get a right to return in writing and know where the seller is located.

I don't know what a ratio of 6:3 is. Like Old pointed out, f/stop ratios are normally expressed as 1 to something. The fact that someone who owns equipment as sophisticated as this doesn't know how to express the ratio indicates to me that he knows little about photography and may not have used this equipment much if at all. Has he told you how he came to acquire it? A lack of knowledge and use on his part doesn't mean it can't be a good deal, just more reason to be skeptical and careful.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.