Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Creo IQ Smart 2 or 3 workflow

Re: Creo IQ Smart 2 or 3 workflow

Thanks Brian. I will check that out for the next batch.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Kirk,

You definitely need to set up your own presets with sharpening, etc.... to avoid the unwanted sharpening on scans. I have done this and still make the mistake of not selecting the preset. Glad you are enjoying the machine - I think they are terrific. The software is definitely quirky; it was design for a different world and primarily for pre-press.

You can scan in DT (digital transparency) mode, that removes a lot of options and just captures everything the scanner can see. Afterwards, rename it as a TIFF and open it with Photoshop to adjust levels and curves. Photoshop might give you a warning that it has thrown away some data, I don't know what it is but it doesn't seem important.

If you are using ancient PS7 or 8 there is a DT plugin.

Thanks but long since finished.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I had my iQsamrt2 for few months now and I really enjoyed the quality of the scans I get from it. however, I know there is much room to improve.
    I just want to know why when I make a scan with no output profile the final scans comes much dull or less contrast and saturation than the Preview scan once I made the editing I do to it! and when I pick an output profile I can't use the LS curves or any of the color correction tools on Oxgyn software? any help here will be much appreciated

I tape my film frames above the Mask but want to know from other if it's the optimum setting to keep it this way or which is better (Lazy to do testing)

Regards,
    Mohammed

I tested a 6x7 negative and slide and 35mm slide above and below the mask (taped) and couldn't notice a different between them! But taping the film above the mask was easier and faster for me.

I still can't get the LS curves and color correction to work with me!!! It asks me to save and when I name it and save it tells me error and I'm forced to cancel the adjustment! Any help here would be appreciated

To update this post, I learned that LS Curves and color correction will only work on 8-Bit mode! so as I scan 16-Bit I don't use LS-Curve or any other than the end Points.

Quote Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
    I tested a 6x7 negative and slide and 35mm slide above and below the mask (taped) and couldn't notice a different between them! But taping the film above the mask was easier and faster for me.
    The IQ Smart has an auto-focus system so taping the negative or slide to the top of the mask, or placing it on the glass, should not make any difference in terms of image quality. However, if you allow the slide to contact the glass bed you may get Newton rings. For this reason Scitex/Creo/Kodak instructions for scanning with a mask call for taping negatives and unmounted transparencies to the top of the mask.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon

Quote Originally Posted by sanking View Post
    The IQ Smart has an auto-focus system so taping the negative or slide to the top of the mask, or placing it on the glass, should not make any difference in terms of image quality. However, if you allow the slide to contact the glass bed you may get Newton rings. For this reason Scitex/Creo/Kodak instructions for scanning with a mask call for taping negatives and unmounted transparencies to the top of the mask.

Sandy
    Dear Sandy,
    I scanned 100s of medium format slides with direct mount without a mask (Now I made 6x6 mask along the 6x7 that came with the scanner) and didn't find any newton rings on any of them (IIRC the bottom glass is not ANR on the iQsmart2 and the upper Glass is).

Maybe I got lucky ..... anyway, I use the masks now mostly to avoid flare (I had it on 2 scans so far).

Quote Originally Posted by mob81 View Post
    Dear Sandy,
    I scanned 100s of medium format slides with direct mount without a mask (Now I made 6x6 mask along the 6x7 that came with the scanner) and didn't find any newton rings on any of them (IIRC the bottom glass is not ANR on the iQsmart2 and the upper Glass is).

Maybe I got lucky ..... anyway, I use the masks now mostly to avoid flare (I had it on 2 scans so far).
    The Eversmart scanners have the same configuration, Anti-Newton ring glass on the top, non ANR glass (but coated) on the bottom. Normally scans are made with the emulsion side of the film facing down, toward the CCD. If the negative or mounted transparency is placed on top of the mask the AN glass on the top should contact the base (shiny) side of the film and hold it flat, but the mask keeps the film it from touching the base glass.

In practice you can usually get good scans with no Newton rings by just placing the negative or transparency emulsion side down on the base glass. But you may get the Newton rings with films that that have a shiny emulsion side.

Sandy
    For discussion and information about carbon transfer please visit the carbon group at groups.io
    [url]https://groups.io/g/carbon