Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Uh, ok I know this goes against everything but . . .

Re: Uh, ok I know this goes against everything but . . .

You could try pushing a 400 speed film to 3200+ and develop via water bath... After a little practice, you can get your contrast where you want it.

I have also heard of some people developing film for a normal time (i.e. ISO400 time temp) and then inserting the film into a over-diluted developer for the remainder of the "pushing".

I have personally never tried this, after all one of the reasons I shoot large format is for a reduction in grain.
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."

Lith
    Art 300
    Kallitype

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedGraphicMan View Post
    You could try pushing a 400 speed film to 3200+ and develop via water bath... After a little practice, you can get your contrast where you want it.
    +1 on using a printing technique for the effect Tom wants.

While this is noticeable in 35mm or maybe MF, there probably won't be anything significant for 5x7, and the scene will have nothing in the shadow areas at all. Seriously. What happens with Kodak 400 films is that they need a certain minimum exposure to get something on the film. At 3200 the exposure just falls off to nothing at the midpoint. You'd have to be photographing a high-key scene for it to be effective. You'd need Ilford Delta 3200 to see something on the low end, and that doesn't come in sheet sizes. I've seen a 6x9 shot enlarged to over three feet across, and the grain wasn't objectionable. I don't think that it would be especially noticeable from a 5x7 at that enlargement.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans