Thread: some of my first plates

some of my first plates

Hi everyone. Extremely new to wet plate collodion, and have been lurking around the large format forums for a few weeks. After months of gathering equipment, glass, chemicals, etc., I've finally managed to struggle through my first plates. Some glass some aluminum, but all both frustrating, and completely worthwhile. I'm doing 4"x5" plates on my Shen Hao currently, but am hoping to step up to some 8x8" plates over the weekend. Any suggestions and comments would be much appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. These are in order of when they were shot, and don't really include the half dozen ruined plates.

ambrotype #1 by slantface, on Flickr

wet-plate-flower-1 by slantface, on Flickr

ambrotype #12 by slantface, on Flickr

ambrotype #11 by slantface, on Flickr

Re: some of my first plates

Welcome and congrats on your wet plate work.I think your plates look great. I have been preparing for a start in wet plate myself. Check out some of the great portraits here on the forum. Great stuff.

Beginner

Looks like you're off to a good start. Are you experienced in regular film photography?

Quote Originally Posted by slantface View Post
    Hi everyone. Extremely new to wet plate collodion, and have been lurking around the large format forums for a few weeks. After months of gathering equipment, glass, chemicals, etc., I've finally managed to struggle through my first plates. Some glass some aluminum, but all both frustrating, and completely worthwhile. I'm doing 4"x5" plates on my Shen Hao currently, but am hoping to step up to some 8x8" plates over the weekend. Any suggestions and comments would be much appreciated! Thanks!

P.S. These are in order of when they were shot, and don't really include the half dozen ruined plates.

ambrotype #1 by slantface, on Flickr

wet-plate-flower-1 by slantface, on Flickr

ambrotype #12 by slantface, on Flickr

ambrotype #11 by slantface, on Flickr
    Wow, looks very beautiful, particularly the flower and ambrotype #12! You seem to be experienced in film photography if this is what your first wet plates are! Thumbs up to you! :-)

/zenny

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I do have a bit of experience in film, and shoot quite a bit of 35mm and some medium format. I had never shot large format before going into collodion, but I had some good help, having taken Quinn Jacobson's intro course to wet plate collodion, and have been getting some trouble shooting advice from a friend here in Denver. Anyway, the process is very rewarding so far, and despite some issues with peeling (mainly on glass), the results have been continually better.

Thanks so much for the support,

Jordan