Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What are the 8x10 all-stars?

David J. Heinrich

Re: What are the 8x10 all-stars?

Quote Originally Posted by olwick View Post
    Hi,

Considering moving up to 8x10. What are the superstar lenses for an 8x10 system? (ones that are still readily available, not unobtainable exotics, please). Wide, normal, slightly longer than portrait telephoto.

Thanks,

Mark
    Note that a weak spot in 8x10 is the 180mm range (equivalent to 90mm on 4x5, which is a very commonly used focal length). There are some older reasonably priced 190mm lenses, some fairly modernish 200-210mm lenses -- and even here, the 210/9 Kowa and Computars are wallet-openers, and some very expensive modern 200-210mm lenses that are heavy. I was looking into that focal length, but decided to forgo it for now and stick with what I have, explore some different points of view.

Ultra Wide

90/4.5 Nikkor-SW -- not an 8x10 lens, but like all lenses it covers more the closer you focus. Even focusing less than 4 feet away, it didn't quite cover the corners, and using it was a PITA because I had to aim the camera down and tilt the lens and rear standard back, to avoid getting the camera bed in the view. I will sell this.

110/9 Goerz Dagor -- Barely covers 8x10 stopped down.

120/8 Nikkor-SW -- an excellent lens. Just covers 8x10 at f/22.

I live in the Rochester area, and for my eye, there aren't many shots that mandate these ultra-wide views. I will experiment with the 120/8 and 110/9, but am not sure if I'll keep them.

Moderately Wide

240/9 Fuji A -- light, sharp, and converts to ~480/18 by removing the front element. Bruce Wehman highly recommends this lens. With a Wehman 8x10, the lensboard it is on can be reversed and it can be stored with the camera folded up. This will become a new standard for me.

Long

610/9 APO-Nikkor -- very very sharp lens

600/9, 800/12, 1200/18 Nikkor-T convertible set -- the rear elements can be swapped out to change the focal lengths. This is a great set, even the 1200mm lens is very sharp from my first shot with it.

I will compare the 610/9 vs. the Nikkor-T set some day and post results.

If only they made a nice 210 or 180 that covered well I'd be 100% Nikkor for 8x10.
    Corran, my Nikkor 210W covers 8x10. Not enough to cover movements, mind you. I've used this lens extensively on 8x10.

Thanks for that info...I didn't know that. Sounds like it has about the same coverage as my Symmar-S. Unfortunately I love the 210mm FL and want some movements so I'm still searching for a Graphic Kowa or Computar 210mm...
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

The Nikkor m 300 is nice but has minimal coverage for 8x10. For this range I use a Schneider G-Claron 305. I would not mind getting an Apo-Sironar S 300 but have never found one at the right time.

The Rodenstock Apo-Sironar W 210 is one of my favorites.

Fujinon C 450

Fujinon C 600

Stopped down to f/45 and beyond occasionally, I've not run out of coverage using the Nikkor-M 300mm. I haven't tried to do architecture but I think for most applications it would be more than sufficient. And of course you can't beat the size/weight, if that's a consideration.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

David J. Heinrich

[QUOTE=dh003i;883399]Note that a weak spot in 8x10 is the 180mm range (equivalent to 90mm on 4x5, which is a very commonly used focal length). There are some older reasonably priced 190mm lenses, some fairly modernish 200-210mm lenses -- and even here, the 210/9 Kowa and Computars are wallet-openers, and some very expensive modern 200-210mm lenses that are heavy. I was looking into that focal length, but decided to forgo it for now and stick with what I have, explore some different points of view.

Ultra Wide

90/4.5 Nikkor-SW -- not an 8x10 lens, but like all lenses it covers more the closer you focus. Even focusing less than 4 feet away, it didn't quite cover the corners, and using it was a PITA because I had to aim the camera down and tilt the lens and rear standard back, to avoid getting the camera bed in the view. I will sell this.

110/9 Goerz Dagor -- Barely covers 8x10 stopped down.

120/8 Nikkor-SW -- an excellent lens. Just covers 8x10 at f/22.

I live in the Rochester area, and for my eye, there aren't many shots that mandate these ultra-wide views. I will experiment with the 120/8 and 110/9, but am not sure if I'll keep them.

Moderately Wide

240/9 Fuji A -- light, sharp, and converts to ~480/18 by removing the front element. Bruce Wehman highly recommends this lens. With a Wehman 8x10, the lensboard it is on can be reversed and it can be stored with the camera folded up. This will become a new standard for me.

Long

610/9 APO-Nikkor -- very very sharp lens
    fyi, this lens requires mounting by SK Grimes into an Ilex #5 shutter. The lens can be had brand new for around $300 (I bought mine at that price). The $1k offers on eBay are sellers looking for suckers. It is a great lens, but mounting it into an Ilex #5 is a project that will put the total cost at around $1k, so you shouldn't spend more than a few hundred on it.

Do you really need a shutter with a 600mm lens on 8x10? Given the miniscule depth of field, and the resulting use of small apertures, won't the exposure time usually be more than 1 second?
    “You often feel tired, not because you've done too much, but because you've done too little of what sparks a light in you.”
    ― Alexander Den Heijer, Nothing You Don't Already Know

indecent exposure cosmicexplosion's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: What are the 8x10 all-stars?

14" dagor F7.7
    19" dagor f7.7

These are the lenses I usually use for some reason.

I have a Schneider g clarion 270 which I was told was a golden dagor copy?
    I use some times but I would like a nice wide. I have a 90 mm f4.5 I use on 4x5 I would like to hunt down one of the mentioned 180mm or 120 mm I cant see my self needing wider

I like the 14" the most for landscape as it has a generous and easy view. It also folds into my Kodak 2d and is light

I like the 19" for portraits

So far In my experience the 14 would be my 'one lens'
    through a glass darkly...

All metric sizes to 24x30 Ole Tjugen's Avatar

For really wide, I use a 165mm f:6.8 Angulon (late model) and a 121mm f:8 Super Angulon for the really really wide.
    On the other hand, I have managed to run out of image circle with the 210mm Angulon, which was said to cover 500mm IC...

joseph

If you're reading from Nikon's specifications, you might think the Nikkor M-300 has a limited image circle- hardly large enough to cover 8x10. If you actually use the lens, for contact printing in particular, then it's difficult to run out of coverage- in fact, some people use it for 7x17.

I'm not sure if the single coated Fujinon 210mm has been mentioned, but it's a good performer, with plenty of image circle.

Add a Nikkor M-450mm and you have my basic three lens set...
    At least, the set of modern lenses in shutters...