Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the 8x10 all-stars?

Deardorff Sales and service

Re: What are the 8x10 all-stars?

How well I remember the pre internet days when you walked into a camera shop and told the clerk what you were doing and they pulled a few lenses out of the case and you played with them. You bought one and put it on your camera and shot with it till you moved up to your first new lens. Not that I'm complaining but it sure is different now a days. I still have my first two lenses. A 1935 9.5in Dagor and a 1948 12in 4.5 Ektar. They are still first line lenses for me.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Only a few of us dinosaurs seem to remember those days fondly, Ken. When I got my first 4x5 (a friend's father had passed away) Ansel's were the only books in the library that even mentioned large format, and there was limited info about lenses. Jim at Midwest Camera was an important source for me in those days ('85).
    John Youngblood
    www.jyoungblood.com

Deardorff Sales and service

Quote Originally Posted by mandoman7 View Post
    Only a few of us dinosaurs seem to remember those days fondly, Ken. When I got my first 4x5 (a friend's father had passed away) Ansel's were the only books in the library that even mentioned large format, and there was limited info about lenses. Jim at Midwest Camera was an important source for me in those days ('85).
    I think that what bothers me most is that they are not learning by doing. They are learning by asking. Yes asking s fine but nothing beats developing a sheet of film and looking at the results.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

It wasn't that long ago I got my 8x10 and selecting a first lens was a daunting task and a substantial investment for a guy on a budget who just antied up for a really big camera. Any of the lenses mentioned thus far would be good choices for the OP, depending on condition, of course. When a Pro and close friend of the family in my town heard I'd gotten an 8x10, he suggested a 12" or 14" Commercial Ektar. I think I bought my 14"er from Jim and MPX. This was my only lens for many years and I still use it a lot
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

multiplex

i use a wollensak 1a triple convertible ( 13 20 28 i think )
    and a darlot lever stop hemispherical ... not new rock stars
    but they work OK for what i do ...

john

Depends what sport you are playing.

When I had an 8x10 the only lens I owned at the time that would cover the format was the older-style Fuji 210mm, IC of about 350mm.
    It's a bit short for 8x10, but gives a pleasing perspective, nonetheless; it's pretty small, usually in a Copal 1 or Seiko 1 shutter, and good copies sell in the $300 range.

I later added the Fuji 250mm f6.7, also a great lens in a small shutter that sold for a very reasonable price.

jnanian makes wonderful photograhs with those old rock stars!
    As I've said, all the suggestions thus far would make good lenses for the OP to consider. Choose one in good condition that you can afford and then go out and see what you can do with it.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by olwick View Post
    Considering moving up to 8x10. What are the superstar lenses for an 8x10 system? ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian C. Miller View Post
    Here's the obvious flip side: bring one lens, and use it well.
    Asking what lens to bring is like asking what film to bring. Make a choice. Go for it!
    ALL 8x10 lenses are good. Even the "cruddy" ones. Buy a new 300mm lens, and don't look back! The photographs are in front of the lens, not behind it!

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    If only the forum software could sense the dreaded thread when it appears, automatically make this the first reply, then lock the thread for all time.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Is that a Hassleblad? Brian Vuillemenot's Avatar

My most used on 8X10 are an Apo-Sironar-S 300 and a Fujinon-C 450. I actually use the 450 Fuji for about 75% of the 8X10 (and 4X10 with half darkslide) that I shoot...
    Brian Vuillemenot