Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What are the 8x10 all-stars?

What are the 8x10 all-stars?

Hi,

Considering moving up to 8x10. What are the superstar lenses for an 8x10 system? (ones that are still readily available, not unobtainable exotics, please). Wide, normal, slightly longer than portrait telephoto.

Thanks,

Mark

funkadelic

Re: What are the 8x10 all-stars?

This looks like another "what lens do I buy?" thread.
    Plenty of lenses have plenty of documentation. Go do some basic reading, then you'll have a better knowledge base to ask specific questions later.

Thank you for such a kind and helpful response. The insight I was seeking was around things not documented. You can only learn so much from MTF charts, etc.

Go to the lf homepage and check the lens charts for 8x10.. The list includes only modern lenses and there are really no terrible lenses. http://www.largeformatphotography.in.../LF8x10in.html

Quote Originally Posted by olwick View Post
    Thank you for such a kind and helpful response. The insight I was seeking was around things not documented. You can only learn so much from MTF charts, etc.
    He answered in a short and helpful way to a vague question. So, you want a list? It's out there. And you're still being vague; "...things not documented."

Didn't we ask for more specific questions a year ago?
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...read.php?75264

The latest Rodenstock Sironar-S and Schneider APO-Symmar-L lenses are the best all-arounders. Buy new or mint, if you are super critical buy three of the same and test, return the two worst. Not the cheapest way but it leaves no doubts.

On a budget, pick up a 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar in a large No. 5 Acme shutter or 1980s-era 360/6.8 Schneider Symmar-S in a Copal 3 (more speeds, newer). Also get a 240/5.6 Schneider Symmar-S or APO or L or a later 90s Rodenstock Sironar-N.

Don't pay more than $500 for either lens in excellent condition.

Then later, you can dick around with old brass lenses and all the portrait/soft focus BS people can be enamored of. Or tiny "backpacking" lenses, whatever....

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The latest Rodenstock Sironar-S and Schneider APO-Symmar-L lenses are the best all-arounders.
    ....I would own only these for 8x10, especially Sironar-S's, if money was no object. Have a Sironar-S 150mm and Apo-Symmar (non L) 210mm for 4x5 and they are excellent, probably may most used and favorite lenses for 4x5. Its my understanding that the longer versions (that cover 8x10) are scaled up versions.....which I take to mean they are also excellent. Otherwise, I have been very happy Nikkors, the 450 M is great for 8x10 in my opinion.
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

I think the best compromise between reasonable price and stunning performance are the Schneider Symmar-S (Multicoated). The later Symmar lenses aren't really any better, just redesigned to allow manufacture with enviromental restrictions (no lead in the glass, etc).
    Another great (less expensive) option are the Kodak Commercial Ektars, which are basically Tessar designs with only 6 air/glass interfaces, so multicoating isn't really important.
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill_1856 View Post
    I think the best compromise between reasonable price and stunning performance are the Schneider Symmar-S (Multicoated). The later Symmar lenses aren't really any better, just redesigned to allow manufacture with enviromental restrictions (no lead in the glass, etc).
    Another great (less expensive) option are the Kodak Commercial Ektars, which are basically Tessar designs with only 6 air/glass interfaces, so multicoating isn't really important.
    That's interesting about Symmar-S's verses more modern versions Bill. My only concern with older Schneiders is the dreaded 'schneideritis,' but i do know this is a fairly silly concern. I just don't like looking at a lens with it. But I guess you are supposed to look through lenses....not at them. Currently my most used 8x10 lens is a 300mm Caltar-S II, which i believe is a Symmar-S, it has very bad 'schneiderits' but is sharp and I cannot complain about image quality (i think it might even be only single coated). And who knows....maybe even the new Apo-Symmar L's will all be full of 'schneiderits' in like 20 years...
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Generally lens names that end in "ar"s and "or"s

These are "my" rockstar lenses:
    19" Apo or Red Dot Artar for long-ish
    10" Wide Field Ektar for wide-ish

In between are Commercial Ektars, Dagors, Symmars, G-Clarons etc...
    FWIW one of my most used lenses is a 240mm G Claron---it's sharp, lightwieght and inexpensive (or at least they were!)

The double convertible Symmars and the triple convertible Wollensak 1a are fine choices too, offering a lot of flexibility. The 12" Wollensak Velostigmat and the 375mm/15" Ilex should also deserve celebrity status IMHO

I think many notable early photographers would likely have been tickled pink to have any of these lenses in their kit.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White