I am just getting into LF photography and want to do paper negatives (which I have a lot of other questions regarding).
It seems quite cheap and relatively easy. It is really practical as well, as I don't want to deal with enlargements.
I love the look of it too.

Now, a 8x10/11x14 camera is just too expensive. Maybe I could shell out the $2000 a 8x10 costs (I've looked around on eBay), but the 11x14s are just way too pricey. Being 19 and not having too much cash, I thought a box type camera would be a good solution to that problem.

I am debating whether to use a pinhole or a lens. It would be really nice to be able to meter my scenes, which is why I am considering a fixed lens.

How closely can a pinhole focus?
Does it just require some testing (in different lighting, using different exposure times) to figure out a table for exposure times?

How do I figure out which distance there needs to be between the lens and the film plane, in order to reach infinite focus and still covering 11x14?

I also want to shoot interiors and still lives. For this I really do need a real camera, don't I (except if I make several cameras)?

For the design, I was thinking of basically making a box with hole/cutout to fit a film holder (I would of course make this light tight), much like how one does with a regular camera.

Thanks in advance!