Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best monitor for photo editing and viewing - suggestions wanted

Re: Best monitor for photo editing and viewing - suggestions wanted

In many regards the best Color Reference monitor ever made was the LaCie 730; it has by far the largest color gamut of any color reference monitor and it is 30" in size. Instead of white LEDS the 730 used separate high purity red green and blue LEDS to increase the color gamut. However these things were close to 5k new, are now discontinued, and appear to almost never enter the open market.

The LaCie is built using the same hardware as Samsung's discontinued XL series, however I have used the Samsung and it is crap. Lacie was forced to retire the line when Samsung pulled out of the color reference monitor. I don't know what LaCie did with samsungs hardware, but they really made it shine.

Sandy, I must be running with the wrong crowd, my friend/mentor convinced me that Dell does not last as long, inferior materials/workmanship. I went with NEC based on their long reputation. I read on this Forum how folks loved the NEC P 221, the specs on the NEC EA 232 are better and it has an IPS screen. I hope these turn out to be a good choice, my friend keeps telling me that I'm splitting hairs and growing some grey ones worrying about all these details.

Too many choices,
    Bill

What specs are you talking about? Obviously not the ones that count. Those two monitors are not in the same league. The cheaper one is a 6-bit screen with a dither. IPS screens are nice, but only the good ones. The 221 has a good PVA screen which is far better than the cheap IPS screen of the 232. The 231 also has a wide gamut backlight which covers Adobe RGB instead of sRGB. Keep in mind most screens are made for gamers (who want fast pixel response and high contrast) because there are a lot more of them than people who are interested in, and will pay for, color quality.

The new Dell U2413 is similar to the 2410 that Sandy has but has the new RGB LED backlight instead of the CCFL of the 2410. Looks like a great monitor made to compete with the likes of Eizo. It is probably the best bang for the buck these days. I have seen it on sale for as low as $450. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-9567

You probably should have heeded the advice you received above and not listened to your friend. I would recommend you return the NECs and get something better.

Pat, thanks, I'm reading about the U2413, I found it for $450 also. I have not received the NEC monitors yet, so it would not be very difficult to return them, just postage I guess.
    You could have just helped me avoid making a bad decision. I really appreciate it. These are the first monitors I've ever bought, very complex subject! I just bought a Mac Pro and want to have a really nice system.
    Everyone was talking about IPS as being the best, so I jumped on it.
    I wonder if anyone else has any comments or recommendations.
    I'm going out of town until Sunday, the monitors will be here by then. They will probably go back. Refurbished monitors, what reason should I use for returning them? Can I just say I changed my mind, and pay return postage?
    Bill

If you get the Dell or another wide gamut monitor, maybe a cheap sRGB monitor might be great for a second monitor. That would probably help you as well since you aren't experienced with color management. There is a 23" BenQ monitor I saw a while back that is a VA panel and true 8-bit that only costs like $130. The advantage of the VA type panel is deep blacks. If you run two monitors, keep the secondary monitor a little dimmer than the main monitor. Our eyes set white balance by the brightest white in our field of vision. FYI.

I think it is a shame that there isn't really a resource for photographers that ranks monitors. Information is really hodge podge on the internet. A lot of it is just being passed around by people who really don't know what they are talking about. People glom on to specs that really don't mean anything.

Bill, I should really apologize to you as well since I saw this thread but didn't respond, which would have saved you some dough and some headaches.

Pat, I looked and the U2413 for $450 is expired
    There are deals on the U2713, higher resolution, but is it the same quality as the 2413?
    I'm running right now to the airport

The NEC monitors arrived today, someone from IT at work bought them from me, for same price, so now loss or hassle there.
    Talk to you next week.
    Bill

This is the 27" that you want. There are two versions, H and HM. You want the H

http://www.dell.com/ed/business/p/dell-u2713h/pd

If money wasn't an object (it is), one of the Eizo ColorEdge or FlexScan monitors would be the ones to go for. Outstanding and the best monitors I've ever had the pleasure to work with. Unfortunately not mine.

2 issues about the Dell U2413, first the price is back to $550, do not know when it will go on sale again. I've got a Mac Pro (desktop) being delivered this week. I need a monitor, hoping for 2 24" for a dual set up. Dell U2413 and the U2713 require a specific color correction puck at about $270 That brings the price up to about $1370 for 2 24" monitors.

At that price I know there are a lot of other options. I could get a refurbished 27" Apple Cinema from Apple for around $870 and just go with a 1 monitor set up. A new one is $999.

I'm asking for any other suggestions. I do not know anything about Eizo, warranty, support, etc...
    My buddy keeps saying I could get a spectacular NEC for that price.

Any help would be appreciated.

I think the dell uses white LED's to produce nearly all of the ADOBE RGB color space... LaCie was very clear about the use of RGB leds and I think dell would mention RGB leds in the sale page. RGB leds does increase gamut but using RGB instead of white leds is less efficient as the light gets filtered twice.

The LaCie is 123% adobe RGB while the dell is 99%.

Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    The new Dell U2413 is similar to the 2410 that Sandy has but has the new RGB LED backlight instead of the CCFL of the 2410. Looks like a great monitor made to compete with the likes of Eizo. It is probably the best bang for the buck these days. I have seen it on sale for as low as $450. http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...9&sku=320-9567