Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best monitor for photo editing and viewing - suggestions wanted

Best monitor for photo editing and viewing - suggestions wanted

Need to upgrade my monitor and am looking for something in the say 300-500 price range for editing/viewing. Have been reading reviews and the HP ZR24W 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor seems to be a very good option in the price range. Suggestions are welcome.

Thanks much

Dan

Re: Best monitor for photo editing and viewing - suggestions wanted

This is not in your price range, but I sure like the Apple Thunderbolt displays.

Preston Birdwell

Dan,

This NEC MultiSync monitor is a bit out of your price range (NEC direct is $749), but I think you would like it better for imaging work. MultiSync P241w-bk

With a compatible colormeter, you can also purchase and use the NEC SpectraView calibration software with this monitor.

I have the P221W (22") and Spectraview. The monitor and software have been very reliable.

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Dan,

This NEC MultiSync monitor is a bit out of your price range (NEC direct is $749), but I think you would like it better for imaging work. MultiSync P241w-bk

With a compatible colormeter, you can also purchase and use the NEC SpectraView calibration software with this monitor.

I have the P221W (22") and Spectraview. The monitor and software have been very reliable.

--P
    I second NEC's and thier Spectraview software. I have the now discontinued 2690WUXI2, but im sure thier smaller monitors do a good job too. Though you might have a hard time finding something in your range, NEC's are generally cheaper than LAcies and way cheaper than Eizos.

Good luck!
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Dan,

--P
    I can get the P221W (22") NEC for just over $400 is the 24" version $350 BETTER?? OR I can get the PA231W-BK (23") monitor for about $550 which is about $150 more??

WOW choices - choices

I bought two of the 22 inch NECs and they seem like the most bang for the buck. Not perfect but good.

retrogrouchy

Make sure you get an IPS or (at worst) PVA panel; under no circumstance should you buy a TN panel for photographic use. Use this database to look up the panel type in any display you're considering.

I would suggest stretching your budget to about $600-700 and buying a second-hand 30" LCD, e.g. Apple Cinema or HP LP3065; you might swing one for $500 if you're patient. They're all S-IPS, of the highest visual quality, and you get much better resolution (2560x1600) than you'll see on any 24" monitor (1920x1080 to 1920x1200). It does require a dual-link DVI connection though, so you might need to upgrade your video card if it's a bit old and sad.

I recently bought one of the P221W (22") NEC's because I wanted to be cool like Frank. Nice monitor.

I use a $200 Dell 23" monitor; after calibration, it looks and works great, no problems.

As already mentioned, it must be an IPS monitor.

Check this straightforward article and you'll be good.

http://photo.net/learn/digital-photo...nt/101-basics/

Dell has a good and cheap option. I'm using a very (too) old Dell IPS display and it calibrates very well. If you don't have a calibration solution you'll need to add some budget for that. DispCal is a good and free option as far as software, but you'll need to pair it with a colorimeter. It shouldn't be too much for a descent colorimeter, though. If you can swing the budget to one of the NECs with its software, that'd be a really good option.