Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a great craigslist find

a great craigslist find

so our local craigslist had an ad that I couldn't resist. An entire darkroom of stuff for $100. The man died over 30 years ago and his 90+ widow passed a couple years back - this has been in the darkroom since he passed and these people are flipping the house and want the darkroom empty. I bought it all - the enlargers are big, they seem to be large format - the wooden one looks like possibly for 5x7 negs. Here are a few pics. There are books, boxes of film, contact frames other frames, processing tanks, lenses and boards -everything imaginable and vintage. Just for historical purposes I don't see that I'll regret spending the $100. I possibly can even use a lot of it - Here are the seller's shots of the enlargers. so, did I make a good purchase? thoughts? am I nuts?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 406.png 
Views:	287 
Size:	139.1 KB 
ID:	71935Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Picture 405.png 
Views:	225 
Size:	153.7 KB 
ID:	71936

Re: a great craigslist find

You did well, cleaning things up will require some effort though!

thanks! for sure...a big job but I may learn as I take care of each piece too how it all works and what all is there. hubby says I got my mother's day gift early LOL

I still use an Omega DII for 4x5, just like the one pictured. Works great, belonged to my father. I think it may be 1940's vintage. I made a little filter insert to hold 6x6 Multicontrast filters securely. Have fun and let me know if you have any questions about it.

Jon
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

I have a D-II and its a very capable enlarger. I think I read somewhere that one of the Westons used on in whileserving in the Navy in WW2. The Elwood is also a very nice enlarger to work with---basic, but really intuitive.
    Ya done good. Real good!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

thanks! I have cleanup and work ahead with them but will be fun - going to start digging thru some boxes today to see what all is in here- a bit overwhelming and exciting at the same time.

You did very well indeed. A single enlarging lens "could be" worth several times your investment.

Please do your homework thoroughly before listing anything for sale. Most folks won't tell you that the $50 item they're buying from you is worth $500.

oh I hope to use most of it if I can thanks- I'll be sure to do some research if I part with anything. thanks!

Well done on your darkroom equipment find! Fortune favors the prepared and you were able to recognize a good buy and take advantage of it.

What lens is on the Omega enlarger? If it an old-timer, there are many modern optics going for a song these days should you want to upgrade.

The Omega D2 will serve you well. Once you have it set up in your darkroom, take the time to align it properly so that you can enjoy all of the optical performance it is capable of delivering for you. If you don't know how to do this, run a web serch or post a request for help here and instructions will surely be offered.

I use an Omega DII like the one you have (note that it is older/different from a D-2).

It is a very good enlarger, I paid $50 for mine at a yard sale.

I have a Dichro head on mine for printing Color.

The other enlarger looks like it might be an old 5x7 Elwood.

You got a very good deal and I am very, very jealous!
    "I would like to see Paris before I die... Philadelphia will do..."