Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Are people really paying $1000+ for Speed Graphic and Aero Ektar combos?

Re: Are people really paying $1000+ for Speed Graphic and Aero Ektar combos?

You can take a lazy snapshot with the best and biggest gear available, and you can get published in the New York Times with photos taken with an iPhone:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/1...l-a-war-story/

I figure if the photographer enjoys the process and the results, equipment is of little consequence.

Jonathan

Thanks for the link. And good point.
    My website Flickr
    "There is little or no ‘reality’ in the blacks, grays and whites of either the informational or expressive black-and-white image" -Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jcoldslabs View Post
    You can take a lazy snapshot with the best and biggest gear available, and you can get published in the New York Times with photos taken with an iPhone:
    Sure !
    But it also depend on what you wanna do with your pictures.
    If you wanna be printed in a famous magasine, an iphone can be enough. For sure, getting published in NYTimes is great.
    But if you goal is printing large pictures. Even only for yourself, even not for a museum.
    I really do think that the iphone will not hold the 1.2mx1.5m wide prints or at least waaayyyyyyysssss less good than a 4x5" velvia 50 negative.

Frank, ok for the sinar.
    But compare the prices of a decent speedgraphic (with a full maintenance done by a pro) and the price of a sinar set... I think we are around a 10x factor.
    I think that speedgraphic is a good compromise between price and quality.

Sometimes people make a camera setup just because it's fun. Sometimes for what it can do. I'm not sure on the super fast handheld cameras which it is. I have my Speed Graphic to shoot somewhat slower petzvals, with more depth of field. This SG cost me $150, and the lens about the same.

I've sold a lot of small Petzvals, 40mm to 150mm, to people who just want to have some fun making uncommon photos. You can get the same unusual look on a 4x5 for a lot less money than doing it on 8x10. But I sure wouldn't advocate trying to emulate a modern, digital photo with one, where everything is sharp, flat, normal, boring. Or trying to make a super-sharp 4x5 negative to enlarge hugely. It's not about that. Here is a Speed Graphic/fast lens shot I took on 20 year old T-max:

Yeah it is quite amazing that you can still find beat up 1930s Speed Graphics and the shutters still work properly, even close enough speeds... for $150 or so.

A good Sinar shutter seems to be $500 and forget it if they don't include the $150 cables. While you could hang it on a cheap Sinar F, usually you want one of the more solid models like the Norma or P, extra bellows and standard, etc. so you can easily drop $1500 to do it right.

The big limiting factor with the Speed is the size of the small lensboard and the weakness of the front standard with heavy lenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The big limiting factor with the Speed is the size of the small lensboard and the weakness of the front standard with heavy lenses.
    Um, Frank, one can often put a crutch under the lens. That's how I use a huge 12"/4.0 Taylor Hobson Telephoto on my little 2x3 Pacemaker Speed Graphic.

think about that. how much ll cost to build a lens like this today? back to the 40 th AE lens cost a price of one good car or a quarter of an house.
    after war they sell these lenses for 5 $
    money is nothing if you take photo for a good reason.