Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Are people really paying $1000+ for Speed Graphic and Aero Ektar combos?

Re: Are people really paying $1000+ for Speed Graphic and Aero Ektar combos?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Ewins View Post

This auction seems to suggest that someone was prepared to pay $2500 for one, while this one is a bit cheaper and a touch more eccentric, but the seller seems to think that $2000 is a reasonable BIN.

Are they really selling for over $1000 on a regular basis?
    As others have noted these are asking prices. no what they get for them. To check for what they really go for on that site, do an advanced search and check off the little box that says "Completed Listings". Searching this way will report recent sales.

I'd sell my AE/SG combo if someone would pay me $2,500 for it!

Anyone?

Jonathan

Quote Originally Posted by kurtdriver View Post
    As others have noted these are asking prices. no what they get for them. To check for what they really go for on that site, do an advanced search and check off the little box that says "Completed Listings". Searching this way will report recent sales.
    Why don't you check those recent sales yourself?! They are indeed going for well over $1k, and over $2k sometimes as well!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Speed-Graphi...#ht_500wt_1182
    SOLD for $2500

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pacemaker-Sp...#ht_500wt_1182
    SOLD for $3600 (surprised myself about that one)

I'm surprised the one on ebay right now hasn't sold. As I suspected when I started fooling with these, I think there is a limited market for these. As stated, one can build this camera themselves with some time and effort...but some people would rather pay top-dollar and have it immediately. Not a surprise - that's the same thing driving up D800 prices on ebay right now. Anyway, perhaps the folks with the means and the want have bought their camera and now the prices will start to drop. I hope not personally.
    Bryan | Blog | YouTube | Instagram | Portfolio
    All comments and thoughtful critique welcome

Just post David Burnett videos and talk them up, it already worked with Verito lenses, Chamonix Sabres, etc. you'll stir up a few new buyers.

I notice that both cameras are from sellers in USA, and both listings come from *Bay/OZ.
    Just an observation. I do sympathize for the folks down under.
    Often seems that available selection of gear is a little thin, with many prices a tad high.

Marc

Oh that's just me searching on gear available worldwide, it isn't actually listed locally. You are right, there isn't much in the way of LF gear sold in Australia. I did a little more looking around at completed auctions and the prices for Aero Ektars alone are around the $500 - $600 mark, so by the time you factor in a mount as well as the camera then the cost to build is about $1000, and a $1500 starting price on an auction looks comparatively reasonable. It just surprised me that the prices had got this high since I assumed that this would all be old hat by now.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    The fast 4x5 lenses and handheld 4x5 are at odds with each other, you rarely see any successful shots because focusing with the shallow depth of field is pretty much guesswork. Even Burnett uses a tripod most of the time.

Outside of Burnett's, how many good shots have you seen from this sort of gear> Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by RawheaD View Post
    I shoot my AE/SG combo han-held about 90% of the time. Actually, the only time I'd shoot with a tripod is when I use precious film, like Type55. Now we can debate the extent of what "hitting the focus" consists of, but I average 4-5 shots out of a 6-frame Grafmatic back that I'm satisfied with.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=aero...64%40N00&s=rec
    I don't have the strength in my wrists to hold my Pacemaker/AE combo any more. I found a fairly nice lens on fleabay for about $100 a few years back, Already had the SG Pacemaker which I had also purchased for about $125. I used a jury-rigged lens mount for a while and finally coughed up the money for Jo Lommen's mount. It was worth the money, and I still have a nice rig for under $400. I have to use a tripod, so I just focus on the GG and not worry about the rangefinder. I can still use the rangefinder if I have the other lens on board.
    Michael Cienfuegos

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Just post David Burnett videos and talk them up, it already worked with Verito lenses, Chamonix Sabres, etc. you'll stir up a few new buyers.
    ohh - something like that would never happen on a camera forum . If one were devious enough you could make some serious dosh stockpiling a certain lens/camera, talking it up for a couple of months on a forum (I would recommend RFF ), and then when everybody is whipped up into a buying frenzy unleash your stash.

Quote Originally Posted by dap View Post
    ohh - something like that would never happen on a camera forum . If one were devious enough you could make some serious dosh stockpiling a certain lens/camera, talking it up for a couple of months on a forum (I would recommend RFF ), and then when everybody is whipped up into a buying frenzy unleash your stash.
    Oh they do that all the time on RFF, someone will launch a thread extolling the Leica SL or a Contax RTS and amazingly there also appears an ad selling one. They never explain why they are selling such a great camera or lens either!

I have tried to get a 7" Aero for a year now but I refuse to pay 6 to 700 for the lens.