Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best material for new (large) enlarger table?

Best material for new (large) enlarger table?

32"x42" is the original size chipboard table with a banded edge. I'd like to make it 1 1/2" thick as like the original since it's not bolted to the enlarger (10x10 fotar), only balanced on 5 points with leveling screws. The new table won't have the t-track. MDF seems the most stable if coated in polyurethane? Formica might be nice on top too.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 2.JPG   photo 1(1).JPG  

Re: Best material for new (large) enlarger table?

Vinny

use metal so in the future magnets can be used for larger prints. better still make a vacumn frame out of it if you have the chops.

I am making Vacumn tops for my drop tables, really comes in handy with larger prints.

Bob

Yeah Bob, Vacuum frame planned for sitting on top. I was thinking a piece of sheet metal glued to the top too. I won't be making huge prints that often as they aren't giving the paper away, I don't have room for more than wallpaper trays, and no one is buying my work.

Then put metal on so you can use magnets to hold the paper ,, really practical...
    keep printing and exhibiting and people will buy your work. Its a 20 year stint to be an overnight sensation.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Yeah Bob, Vacuum frame planned for sitting on top. I was thinking a piece of sheet metal glued to the top too. I won't be making huge prints that often as they aren't giving the paper away, I don't have room for more than wallpaper trays, and no one is buying my work.

MDF is the way to go. It's dimensionally stable and very flat. I used it to make a vertical easel for my horizontal 10x10 enlarger. As Bob said, I glued sheet metal to the front face so I could use magnets to hold the paper on. I print up to 30"x40" this way. You could also just paint it or polyurethane it as you mentioned. I also used MDF as my counter top under my wall mounted LPL enlargers. Same reasons as above, stable and very flat.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    MDF seems the most stable if coated in polyurethane? Formica might be nice on top too.
    I chose the formica option and it worked out quite nicely; purchased a 4x8 sheet at Lowe's for $40---and it is laminated to a 3/4" piece of MDF, very smooth.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1050522.jpg  

Bob: I am interested in building a vacuum frame, but have never actually seen one. Any suggestions for where to get a plan?

Vinny: sorry, don't mean to hijack your thread.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by bob carnie View Post
    Vinny

use metal so in the future magnets can be used for larger prints. better still make a vacumn frame out of it if you have the chops.

I am making Vacumn tops for my drop tables, really comes in handy with larger prints.

Bob

Granite. Sorry couldn't resist. It _would_ be the best material for an enlarger table but I am sure it would be impractical.

Hey hijacker,
    There was a decent video about it online but I guess he recently removed it. send him an email. http://www.philipmorgan.net/diy-vacuum-easel/
    here's a thread on it: http://www.largeformatphotography.in...p/t-66129.html
    Make it bigger than you think you'll need and make inserts for it that'll cover the holes around your smaller paper sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    Bob: I am interested in building a vacuum frame, but have never actually seen one. Any suggestions for where to get a plan?

Dan

granite?
    hmmm, I'll see if I can find some magnets that'll stick to that.
    I did see some "magnetic" paint the other day by rustoelum. I wonder how well it actually works. The quart size can was heavy as hell.

I think Drew Wiley may have some plans , I am going to make a couple of them for larger prints. I have some commercial 20x24 units for smaller prints .If I get a plan I will post.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post

Dan