Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Metrolux vs Zone VI vs RH Designs Stop Clock Vario for a Zone VI VC Cold Light

Metrolux vs Zone VI vs RH Designs Stop Clock Vario for a Zone VI VC Cold Light

I intend to change my Zone VI cold light head with a Zone VI VC Cold Light head on my Omega D5XL. My question is which compensating timer to buy with it. It seems my three choices are a Metrolux Lamp Controller Kit, Zone VI Compensating Timer and RH Designs Stop Clock Vario. Other than price, does anyone see any reason to go with one over the other? Anyone have any positive/negative feedback on one or the other in terms of performance, accessories/extra functions, reliability, customer service, etc? Thanks much.

Doesn't the Zone VI VC head come with it's own internal feedback system so that it provides a constant light source? I don't think that you need a compensating time with this unit. Any standard timer that can handle a cold light head should be OK with the unit you want to purchase. Check with Calumet.

Octogenarian

Hi Bulent,

My Zone VI two-tube cold light variable contrast head, is mounted on an Omega D-2 chassis, and it does not require a compensating timer. I have been using an ordinary Beseler analog timer, with a foot switch, and it has been working very well for over ten years.

There is an outlet connection on the head specifically for the Zone VI compensating timer, but I think it allows that timer to operate without the need to use it's stabilizing circuitry.

The Zone VI VC head includes a Horowitz stabilizing electronic circuit. There is a little green light built into the the head. When the tubes are warmed up enough to emit a constant output, the green light remains on during the exposure. If the tubes are not stabilized, the green light goes off during the exposure. All that is required is to switch the focusing switch on for a few minutes to warm up the tubes before making the exposure.

The Metrolux timer is compatabile with the Z VI photo cell... you only need an adapter to connect the two ... RCA to something. The Metrolux timer has one added feature that I love... a shutter timer. Metrolux's company name is Metered Light.

Might I suggest a Metrolux II combined with the Aristo 4500 VCL? I this set up and in my opinion it is a better light source than the Zone VI. I have the probe for the light and that makes the whole thing a closed loop system. The Aristo is a brighter head than the Zone VI, IMO. You can add a gizmo that will function as a denitometer also with this Metrolux II timer. More bang for the buck.

leec

I haven't used the Zone VI timer, but I have played with the Metrolux, and I own the RH timer. I use it with an Aristo 1212 cold light head.

I think the RH timer has a very specific benefit that the other timers do not offer; it works in logarithmic time, so adjustments and time increments are all applied in fractions of a stop, which makes a relatively easy task of printing. It will also operate in linear time if desired, but in most cases, there is no reason to use it in anything other than log time.

For example, it has a test strip function that will automatically build a test strip for initial exposure estimations. The increment can be set from 1/2 step to 1/12 step, and even smaller for really fine control. Each step will be exactly one increment greater in exposure, and relative to exposure principles, one increment more dense, presuming that you are in the linear portion of the paper curve.

The actual time differences between each step varies to achieve this. if you do a test strip of 4,6,8,10 seconds, the actual time difference is 2 seconds, but the exposure differences for each step changes with each step. The RH unit will do an exposure similar to 4, 5.6, 8, 11 seconds, which results in exactly 1/2 stop more exposure for each step.

I never realized how useful working in log time would be until I had the timer, and now I'm sold on it as the most logical way to do exposures.

The Z6 heads have a stabilizer in them, which attempts to help normalize the output of the lamps in the head, but that is not necessarily going to be enough to maintain consistant exposures from one day to the next, let alone from one print to the next. The stabilizer is not the same as a closed-loop system that is built around the integration of light output. It attempts to maintain a fairly constant temperature and voltage to the lamps, which will help avoid wide swings in the lamp output, and does not put light integration into the formula.

Whether the stabilizer is enough really is dependant on your printing methods, and how critical you are of variations in your output.

---Michael

I guess I'll reveal my ignorance here but I've done it before so no harm done. I use the Metrolux with an Aristo VCL 4500. I thought the term "compensating timer" referred not to a timer/head with built in stabilization but rather to a timer/head combination that automatically adjuted the actual time of exposure to take changes in contrast into account. For example, if I set the VCL 4500 to "2" and the timer to 20 seconds, I get a particular exposure, probably one that lasts about 20 seconds. If I decide to change the contrast to say "4" the light output increases because the head adds more blue light to the exposure without reducing the yellow light. I leave the timer at 20 seconds but the timer automatically reduces the actual time to take the increased light output from the blue light into account. That's what I thought was meant by "compensating timer." Apart from all that, I don't know how well the Metrolux would work with a Zone VI head, I guess it would work o.k. but if it were me I'd probably get the Zone VI timer just to be sure everything remained compatable absent a clear reason to get something different. Actually I'd get again what I already have, the Aristo VCL 4500 and the Metrolux timer have been a very nice combination. And I can do shutter speed tests with the Metrolux.
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

wfwhitaker

Calumet has discontinued the Zone VI compensating enlarging timer, at least according to a conversation I had with a Calumet representative yesterday when I tried to order a footswitch for the timer. That's one less variable for you to have to contend with, but not good news otherwise. Other bad news is that the compensating developing timer has also been discontinued.

I also tried to purchase a Zone VI compensating enlarging timer from Calumet. It has been discontinued. They told me that it had not been a reliable item any way - gave them lots of hassles. Their recommendation was for me to buy the Metrolux. And I have seen only positive comments about the Metrolux (but do not have one myself at this time). The RH unit using log time is an intriguing idea to me. But if you follow Fred Picker's method of exposing in a series of 3-second bursts, I don't think log time would be a useful idea.

I don't use a VC head, but if I recall correctly, I was trouble shooting something related to the photocell via phone with Metrolux and the conversation turned to VC heads and the photocell. My impression is that the two color tube arrangement makes it difficult to get an accurate and consistant read. Changing contrast will change the relative output and the photocell will be biased to one of the tubes. Give 'em a call, they seemed more that willing to discuss any aspect of the timer.