Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A couple more Norma questions

A couple more Norma questions

Hi all,
    I'm still yet to use my new-to-me 5x7 Sinar Norma. Am replacing light traps but have a few questions:

Please see attached pics regarding the position of the GG in the rear frame. There is a ~2mm gap between GG and rear frame at the top and a ~1.5mm gap between rear frame and GG to the left while the GG touches the frame at right and at bottom. Is this normal? Should it be centred?

Also, the black markings on the GG are a little worn. Not really a problem but can I clean that side of the glass without worsening it?

The last pic shows the camera at about 410mm of extension, longer than my longest lens, but does the bellows look a bit saggy?

JonClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335833694.600535.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	72916Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335833707.141102.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	72917Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1335833719.890183.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	72918

Bump

Re: A couple more Norma questions

My 5x7 back came with a factory Fresnel, mounted on the inside of the gg. The space between the plastic Fresnel and the gg was full of dust and some kind of algae/mould that had grown there. Cleaning the gunk off with water and a tissue removed all the silkscreened lines :-(

That said, I don't frame exactly, and I don't do a lot of architecture, so I really only use the lines to provide a reference for focussing my loupe prior to focussing the image.

I did take the chance to centre up the gg in the frame. I don't think it makes any difference unless you are the sort who prints borders *and* fills the frame with important detail right to the edge.

Your bellows sag looks normal to me.

I concur with almost all of what Struan wrote with the exception of the frame lines. I have washed my Norma ground glass—gently, which is not to imply that Struan was overly vigorous—with dish-washing detergent and a soft cloth and the lines are fine. My 5x7 Norma does not have a fresnel, so there must be different versions.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    My 5x7 back came with a factory Fresnel, mounted on the inside of the gg. The space between the plastic Fresnel and the gg was full of dust and some kind of algae/mould that had grown there. Cleaning the gunk off with water and a tissue removed all the silkscreened lines :-(

That said, I don't frame exactly, and I don't do a lot of architecture, so I really only use the lines to provide a reference for focussing my loupe prior to focussing the image.

I did take the chance to centre up the gg in the frame. I don't think it makes any difference unless you are the sort who prints borders *and* fills the frame with important detail right to the edge.

Your bellows sag looks normal to me.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

It is quite likely that whatever the gunk was between the Fresnel and the ground glass, it had compromised the silk-screened markings. They just wiped off with a very gentle motion. My 4x5 back, which had no such gunk, and no Fresnel either, came up gleaming from a bath in normal washing up liquid, followed by a brief dip in isopropanol, with all markings intact.

I just wanted Jon to know that there was a *possibility* he could lose his markings.

I certainly didn't mean to imply anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by Struan Gray View Post
    I just wanted Jon to know that there was a *possibility* he could lose his markings.

Richard Wasserman

https://www.rwasserman.com/

I tried a little Residual Oil Remover last night on a tiny patch and it lifted the black line, so I can't use that. I'll hand it to the missus tonight when she washes up and see what happens. Worst case scenario; can the lines be put back on somehow? Particularly the edge of frame?

Why not just redraw the lines with a pencil and a ruler?

I never knew Sinar made any inside-the-camera mounted fresnels especially when they have fixed the seating for the ground glass with a definite "seat"? I'd expect the ground glass to have some shims added (or material removed) to get accurate focus if that were the case.

You can draw (or to go over) the lines with a thin permanent ink marker (that`s what I do when needed). If cleaning your GG the grid and frames are erased, leave it clear and draw the format frames with that marker (if needed). Don`t use other than kitchen soap; I think there is no need of using something stronger.

Agree with Frank; I`m not aware of fresnels between the GG and the frame in the Normas. My Linhoff had this system, and was a real pain. Also, the plastic fresnels I have used tend to bend, so they must be used with knowledge. I prefer a single GG and if so, a detachable fresnel behind (and this is how my Norma was made).

To know if the GG must be shimmed, you need to carefully take some measures. Mine doesn`t, but yours could be a different version. Anyway, mine has that "definite seats" I think Frank refers. "Definite seats" are clear, grinded portions of the frame where the GG should rest. If yours doesn`t have this "seats", it probably needs to be shimmed. I doubt so. If you post a pic showing the sides, or the whole contour of the GG frame (better without GG), we could maybe say anything more.

The bellows is normal. If it is too much saggy when extended, use an sponge to lift it up a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Petronio View Post
    Why not just redraw the lines with a pencil and a ruler?

I never knew Sinar made any inside-the-camera mounted fresnels especially when they have fixed the seating for the ground glass with a definite "seat"? I'd expect the ground glass to have some shims added (or material removed) to get accurate focus if that were the case.
    My Fresnel has built-in shims, like fins along the edges, which are thinner than the main Fresnel sheet, and go in-between the frame and the GG to move the GG backwards by the right amount. The Fresnel doesn't say 'Sinar' anywhere on it that I can find, but with Normas that doesn't mean anything. Everything else on the camera is factory original.