Thread: newbie - 35mm negs okay on 4x5 enlarger?

newbie - 35mm negs okay on 4x5 enlarger?

I'm getting a 4x5 enlarger as a loaner/gift but I don't think I've ever worked on one before - can I print 35mm on this enlarger? If yes, do any special adjustments need to be made?

A 4x5 will handle 35mm just fine. Assuming you have the right lens and negative carrier. With my difusion enlarger the only adjustment I make is to swap in the 50mm lens and use the 35mm negative carrier. With my condensor enlarger I need to adjust the condensors in addition.

4x5 negs are usually printed with a lens about 135mm - 150mm. The 35mm negatives are printed with a lens of 50mm or so.

On the Omega D2 enlargers you need to change the condenser when you print different formats. Its not a big deal. On the older D2 you have to actually remove one condenser and replace it with the other... it requires no tools and takes less than a minute. The newer D2V has the condenser lens mounted in a drawer and you simply move it to a different level.

Dave Karp

My Saunders 4500-II offers a different light mixing chamber for use with 35mm negatives. I think that the advantage here is that it focuses the light into a narrower area for use with 35mm negatives. This will shorten exposure times or allow you to stop down your lens more if you like. I don't think it is required to print 35mm negatives. From the prior post, it seems like other manufacturers have similar setups.

Do you know the brand and model number of the enlarger you will be using? If you post it I am sure that one of the visitors to this site that uses that type of enlarger can tell you exactly what you need to know.

Hope this helps.

Also, if its a D-2, you'll need a different lens cone in addition to the condenser, negative carrier, and lens(I think its the flat lens "non"cone.) Check www.classic-enlargers.com for more info(if the enlarger is a D-2.) FWIW, you can find excellent deals on ebay for 35mm enlargers. I always regretted giving away my little durst years ago. I replaced it for $40 with a meopta opemus 6x6 with all the trimmings---trays, timer, several easels, negative carriers for 35 and 120, and schneider companon lenses for both formats:-) All that for about what the negative carrier alone would cost if I wanted to upgrade my D-ll. OTOH, you could move up to a 4x5 camera!---Cheers!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White