Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have strange line's on my photos - doing something wrong in the development B&W

Unhappy I have strange line's on my photos - doing something wrong in the development B&W

Hello guy's

I'm having a problem lately that i never had before , i have a strange line's over my 4x5 b&w sheets after developing .

I was developing with Paterson tank and a special insert that i found over the net for 4x5 sheets. And next week i bought yankee square developing box for 12 4x5 sheet's. ( which is very nice for developing i got to admit, very easy to use)

i'm attaching 2 images with these line, so maybe you can tell me if it's the developing problem or something else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YIS860.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	72718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YIS690.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	72717

Re: I have strange line's on my photos - doing something wrong in the development B&W

Quote Originally Posted by Yef View Post
    Hello guy's

I'm having a problem lately that i never had before , i have a strange line's over my 4x5 b&w sheets after developing .

I was developing with Paterson tank and a special insert that i found over the net for 4x5 sheets. And next week i bought yankee square developing box for 12 4x5 sheet's. ( which is very nice for developing i got to admit, very easy to use)

i'm attaching 2 images with these line, so maybe you can tell me if it's the developing problem or something else.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YIS860.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	101.2 KB 
ID:	72718Click image for larger version. 

Name:	YIS690.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	117.5 KB 
ID:	72717
    That sort of uneven development was what I always experienced with Yankee daylight tanks. I gave up on it. Others claim success with them, but I have no idea how they achieve it, unless they give up on the daylight part and agitate by extraction and immersion. There is no way to agitate effectively otherwise. It might work with stand development techniques that avoid much agitation, but I'm completely unfamiliar with those.

When I had the darkroom, I went to deep tanks and hangers, and never had a problem with those. Now that I'm slowly preparing a return to black and white, I needed a daylight solution in that there is no dark room in this house that has plumbing. I'm going with the Jobo 2500-series tanks and reels--the Expert tank is too expensive. BTZS tubes are another option that require semidarkness for pouring chemicals in and out (total darkness during loading, of course).

Rick "amazed that the Yankee is still in production at a good price, yet all the better options are becoming hard to find or unaffordable" Denney

Re: I have strange line's on my photos - doing something wrong in the development B&W

I never used anything but film hangers in open dip-n-dunk tanks. I had to work in total darkness until completely fixed but I never once had a problem.

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Yef, those are the same marks I got with mine when agitating by pulling the handle up and down. The directions on the tank indicate to rock it back and forth, and I suspect that the tank is supposed to be used with continuous agitation. Currently I use my Jobo, so of course the tank is in the back of a cupboard.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

Unhappy Re: I have strange line's on my photos - doing something wrong in the development B&W

I guess that i just go back to working with my Paterson tank, i thought maybe that i was doing something wrong with the yankee

ok, so i did develop today with the peterson and the 4x5 holder and the mark are back again - somewhere smaller somewhere longer. Can it be something from the camera although to me it looks like developing

This is a cool camel, where is this shot?

How do you develop 4X5 in a paterson tank?

The camel was shoot in Israel and the paterson works great with this insert MOD : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mt_Lzd3LUnQ
    This line dosen't look like a light lick during the shoot (hole in a bellows) but a chemicals that dosen't touch in the same way the film can it be a light that goes in in the dark room when i put the film into the tank ?

That's a neat looking adapter, but I sure don't like how the film is loaded facing inwards. Plastic parts appear to be touching or very nearly touching the emulsion. This definately would interfere with proper circulation of developer, or create weird marks/agitation patterns. On your second image, I can clearly see marks where those plastic parts are near the film's emulsion. Not a system that I would use.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew O'Neill View Post
    That's a neat looking adapter, but I sure don't like how the film is loaded facing inwards. Plastic parts appear to be touching or very nearly touching the emulsion. This definately would interfere with proper circulation of developer, or create weird marks/agitation patterns. On your second image, I can clearly see marks where those plastic parts are near the film's emulsion. Not a system that I would use.
    Thank you for your replay - did you ever use the yankee box? i tried it one and it made the marks like on the picture of the camel : http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...eveloping.html