Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Thread: Landscape hikers – “10 essentials” or not?

Drew Wiley

Re: Landscape hikers – “10 essentials” or not?

Glad to see you had a memorable walk. While much of the West is burning up, Wyoming still seems to be wet this summer. So that's where I'm still planning on heading soon, but further south for a couple of weeks in the Winds, but definitely not 28 mile days. Too old for that, esp with a 75 lb pack and view camera setups.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    If you made the same hike again – same conditions – would your list remain the same?
    I think so. I have a small first aid kit, which has mostly been useful for tape and moleskin. I only bring it if I'm going up with someone less experienced, or if going somewhere more remote. It has some fireproof matches in it as well ... something I've never needed. I have my footwear figured out well enough that I don't bring moleskin for myself anymore.

I used my waterproof socks up in the basin where there was a lot of snow and quite a few streams to get across. But they don't seem to be very waterproof anymore ... my feet got wet and stayed wet and it really made no difference. So these could be a candidate for leaving behind next time.

In the past I've always enjoyed having some real food, like a sandwich. But I think I did better by leaving it behind (by mistake ...). All the food i brought could be slurped and nibbled while on the run.

If I'm reading your posts correctly, you elected to leave behind #3 (or perhaps enough of it), #5, #6, #10 from the Mountaineers "Ten Essental Systems" list. Of course, there's nothing wrong w/ a well-planned trip calling for essentials that differ from a generalized list, esp. if they're designed to match a specific terrain – but I'm sure I’m not the only one curious whether your hike has inspired any modifications for "next time." (I'm mostly curious whether you carried a magnetic compass and paper maps in addition to your iphone and map software.)
    The capilene long underwear was my insulation. Not a lot, but it's all I need in the summer. I never consider bringing shelter on a day trip. I bring a headlamp instead. Absolute worst case, like a broken leg in a place with no cell reception, I'd be able to suffer through the night with what I have.

I've stumbled home late by headlamp many times, but have so far never been benighted.

No paper map or compass. This is a calculated risk based on the place. I'm pretty familiar with the Tetons, and as you can see from some of the pics, the trail signs are really good! In some situations I've brought a paper map. But not a compass ... I've always been able to get my bearings there from the terrain. In the winter the place whites out a lot, so I'd bring a compass. And probably some experienced companions.

This is actually my first big outing with a smartphone and gps software. A fun experiment. The iphone did alright but I wish it was easier to use with wet hands, and I wish there was a way to turn off the phone antennas while using gps. This would extend battery life a lot. Spending hours in places with a weak or nonexistent cell signal kills the battery in a hurry. I had about 6% charge left when I got home. So on a multiday trip you'd have to use it very differently, or bring provisions for charging.

Abuser of God's Sunlight

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Wiley View Post
    Too old for that, esp with a 75 lb pack and view camera setups.
    It's backpacking heaven along the crest trail. Someday I'd like to take the opposite approach and spend 3 or 4 days up there. Maybe bring some climbing stuff for day trips to the peaks. Or a good book and a big floppy hat.

Still, I bet we could get you down to 50lbs, without any major sacrifices! You'll feel 33% less old.

Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post
    I've stumbled home late by headlamp many times, but have so far never been benighted.
    I've been caught by darkness a few times, mainly due to unexpected delays + deep cloud cover + thick forest canopies.

Usually, it's a descending, rock-strewn mountain trail back to the trailhead.

I can't thank my headlamp enough for making these situations easier – a good headlamp is far superior, I think, to a handheld flashlight when this happens.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    Just for the record there is no cabin on top of Katahdin. Or anywhere on the mountain for that matter. There is a bunkhouse at one of the trailheads. There are lean-to's at some of the trailheads. And lean-to's at the Chimney Pong backcountry campsite, which is a 3.3 mile hike with 1,425 ft. elevation gain from the trailhead.

i think it might have been the cabin on CHOCORUA ...
    i'll be seeing the person who told me next weekend and ask him...