Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Landscape hikers – “10 essentials” or not?

Re: Landscape hikers – “10 essentials” or not?

I tend not to take many of the essentials. At first, because I was young and dumb and fairly tough. Now, because the 8x10 and age determine how far I can get away from the car...but I do tend to go off in weird directions by myself, tempered by having a good sense of knowing when to turn around (I chicken out easily, but I still get to some cool places.)

But there is room for some emergency food in the pack -- a few food bars, an apple, turkey jerky, and perhaps some of that wonderful new survival ration, micro-brews in cans (always room for a couple). And I always have my rain jacket/hood, and a wool cap in colder times. I love topo maps, so that is more than just an essential. But oddly rarely have a compass -- the sun and terrain tells me how to align the map, weather and cover permitting. I might take the water filter and only a partial bottle of water if I will be out all day and near water through out the day. A flashlight should live in my camera pack, but one doesn't. A Leatherman tool I found along a creek is usually in the pack (I often need to tighten a few screws on the 8x10) as well as a lighter. A needle and heavy thread usually are with me on long (week+) hikes...I have had to do some major sewing on equipment. Those old Kelty Tour Packs were not designed for the weight I use to put in them!

But if I am just going out for the day, I might as well toss in an extra couple 8x10 film holders (6 or 7 total) and pull out one of the external pockets of the pack to put in a sandwich, another apple and perhaps another can of beer. So it is no wonder I only get a few miles out before the 45 to 50 lb pack and 17 lb tripod/head point out that the light right here right now is beautiful and I should set up the camera, expose some film and drink a beer...if only to reduce the weight of the pack and to enjoy where I am at (oh -- and to rehydrate, of course!)

Vaughn

I take guns and bullets
    rod, tackle, hammer and nails, god,
    Snapple
    gps to geocache, a poncho
    Rodinal for nighttime and a lob wedge
    walnuts
    swiss army knife to play with in case my legs are broken
    trust me on the sunscreen
    and a Hallmark card cause when I'm about to go my own words just won't do me justice

I think the "ten essentials" are a bit far from reality... by a 40%:

1. Topographic map >>many times
    2. Compass >>if needed; specially on unknown, large territories or with bad weather
    3. Flashlight/spare parts >>always a headlamp; a must if we`re too late (dusk)
    4. Extra food/water/clothing >>obviously, if needed; but not a full change...
    5. Sun protection >>always (hat, long sleeve t-shirt in summer, etc.)
    6. Matches >>never; you will be even fined for using them
    7. Knife >>always, to cut tomatoes, cheese and bread - BTW, swiss army ones are the worst for almost everything...
    8. Signal mirror >>never
    9. First aid kit >>never
    10. Emergency shelter >>never

In my experience, I`d change the latest (marked "never") ones as follows:

6. Evacuation plan (where to find help -emergency numbers, stations, helicopter, refuge-). Don`t be confused or waste time if there is a problem.
    8. Buddie (never go alone, for obvious reasons)
    9. Mobile phone with charged battery It must be placed as #1
    10. Extra car keys (if there must be "10" on the list - give them to your buddie).

Water should be at the top of the list.

Steve.

I carry what I consider to be essential survival gear when out in rugged terrain far from roads in case of emergencies. Here's my list, not in any particular order. It's a bit updated from the 1930s one:

1. cell phone (most places now have reception. I got a call from Europe on the top of Mt. Rainier once...)
    2. signalling mirror (the best way to signal if the sun is out)
    3. flashlight(s) (I have a very bright halogen light plus a bunch of little led lights. I once hiked down an icy trail from the top of Yosemite falls in the dark by the light of a Photon led light...)
    4. 2 disposable butane lighters (matches get wet)
    5. hand-held GPS (for longer trips... I once almost had to spend an unprepared night out in February in the Grand Staircase NM because I was disoriented in the canyons and almost didn't find my way back to the car. I was on a long day hike. Since then, I just set a waypoint when I begin the hike: "car" or "camp" and then add a few essential ones on the way. Now I don't have to blaze trail like I used to, or worry about where I am; I can concentrate fully on finding images. For multi-day trips, the GPS and the map are all I need for navigation.)
    6. my Swiss army knife is always with me.
    7. first-aid kit with basics for deep cuts and broken bones (if I'm in real rugged, dangerous territory, I'll carry splinting material and a walking stick as well. I've got wrapping for casts too.)
    8. shelter stuff: several heavy-duty garbage bags (I can make anything from a rain poncho to a tent) space blanket (I've never used mine, but it takes up very little room.)
    9. a small roll of 1" gaffers' tape, nylon parachute line and a few shoelaces, etc. for fastening stuff. (this works for building shelter, making splints, etc. plus doubles as tie-backs for pesky branches.)
    10. proper clothing, etc. for the situation (hat, bandanas, sunglasses, sunscreen for hot and desert situations, warm hat, windproof shelled fleece jackets, gloves and liner gloves, extra wool socks, parka, etc. for cold winter situations. One has to decide based on the circumstances.)

Much of the stuff I carry does double-duty. For example, My dark cloth is large and made of Gore-Tex material. I works well for a poncho too. I've got a coated nylon drawstring bag I use as a camera cover that doubles as a collapsible bucket.

For me, the dangers are mostly:
    1. Falling and injuring myself (breaking a bone, spraining, or worse.) and not being able to walk out. I usually don't go alone, and always have signalling devices with me. I really think a cell phone is the best piece of survival gear I can have (as long as there is reception). Letting people know where you are and when you plan to be back is essential too. If you don't return, they can organize a search.
    2. Getting lost and having to spend the night unprepared in the cold. I work a lot in the winter, and spending a night without enough shelter and warmth is not my idea of fun. That's why the GPS. I often do carry a map (I was good in orienteering in university), but since most of my hikes/trips are of the in-and-back nature, a map is often not needed. When I'm backpacking from one location to another, or in a loop, then the map is always there. GPS doubles as a compass. Extra batteries come too.

Water is, of course essential in really desert climates, but when hiking around streams or in the snow, I don't worry too much about "emergency water." Extra food is non-essential.

I carry a telescoping hiking stick in very steep terrain. It seems that going down is always a lot harder than climbing up (I always seem to be in some life-threatening location for a shot...). With that and my tripod, I can get down some really steep and slippery slopes.

My survival strategy is simple: the Rule of 3s and the following priorities.

The Rule of Threes:
    1. First Aid: You can live 3 minutes if you don't treat a serious bleeding injury
    2. Shelter / Clothing: You can live 3 hours if you are exposed unprepared to extremes of temperature (hypo- hyperthermia, etc.)
    3. Water: You can live 3 days without water.
    4. Food: You can live 3 weeks without food.

General Guidelines for Emergencies in the Wilderness
    1. Call help immediately in case of emergency if possible.
    2. If you are lost, remain where you are and wait for rescue. Make a signal or be ready to signal rescuers.
    3. Prioritize your survival needs according to the Rule of Threes

Best,

Doremus

funkadelic

Quote Originally Posted by Doremus Scudder View Post
    Prioritize your survival needs according to the Rule of Threes
    I learned this the hard way when I was young, and it's stuck with me since. I wasn't hiking or camping (bicycle accident), but hypothermia is a good lesson in any outdoor activity.
    The list of essentials will vary depending on who you ask. Most people pack for comfort. I pack for survival. Go with lightweight options when you can. The only things I don't skimp on are clothing and water. Less weight in your pack will mean more comfort, and more miles per day if hiking. Always filter and treat drinking water. Micro-critters in your digestive tract can slow you down more than a broken appendage. Every hour or so, take a moment to assess your location/heading and weather conditions and make a plan for how to deal with worsening conditions if they should arise. Do this more frequently if the weather is less than ideal, more frequently as those conditions get further from what you would consider good.
    If not using the buddy system, let someone know where you will be so a rescue party can find you before the buzzards do if you don't come home on schedule.

Common sense is essential.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post

1. Topographic map- No.
    2. Compass- Rarely.
    3. Flashlight/spare parts- No.
    4. Extra food/water/clothing- Yes.
    5. Sun protection- No.
    6. Matches- No.
    7. Knife- Yes.
    8. Signal mirror- No.
    9. First aid kit- No.
    10. Emergency shelter- No.
    Carry a notepad. If you left behind something you need, write it down.If you brought something you don't need, write it down. You will very soon come up with a checklist of things you will actually use and need.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Since I'm involved in scouting, I recommend being prepared any time you head into wilderness.

Do your best to take the essentials. The unexpected happens on every adventure.

I highly recommend an online community hosted by a small commercial outfit called Backpacking Light.

My "essentials" kit weighs about seven ounces and fits in a pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Since I'm involved in scouting, I recommend being prepared any time you head into wilderness.

Do your best to take the essentials. The unexpected happens on every adventure.

I highly recommend an online community hosted by a small commercial outfit called Backpacking Light.

My "essentials" kit weighs about seven ounces and fits in a pocket.
    The most important piece of equipment weighs about 3 pounds and is mounted between your ears. Bring and use it, you'll be surprised what else you can do without.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.