Page 11 of 26 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Landscape hikers – “10 essentials” or not?

Re: Landscape hikers – “10 essentials” or not?

1981 Dusy basin overlooking Le-Conte Canyon. Got me through a memorable thunderstorm.

Quote Originally Posted by Heroique View Post
    Did everyone else miss this like I did? Here’s a Scout leader who has us all beat.

Bill, if you carry “10 essentials,” that’s .7 ounce per item.

Please break this out, so the rest of us can carry more lenses!
    Map and Compass
    Sunglasses/spare glasses
    Whistle
    Signal mirror
    Eraser
    Pencil
    Gloves
    Level
    Cable release
    Toilet paper from an MRE shrink wrapped
    Poncho
    Steel and flint
    Needle and heavy duty thread
    Emery board
    Nailclipper
    Scissor from swiss army classic
    LED flashlight
    Duct tape
    Vivarin
    Leukotape
    Moleskin, Q-tips, Floss, sting relief and cleaning wipes, various bandages and Band-aids, steri-strips
    -Not pictured: Single-edge razor blade in protective shield (always take it out for travel and misplaced it).

By far the most common used item is the sting relief and Band-aids

Excellent Bill

This is what lives in my backpack at all times

Small skinner clipped to shoulder harness

Clockwise from bottom left; GPS, duct tape, cable saw, compass with mirror, first aid kit, steel & flint, flashlight, drinking water disinfectant pills, the SOG folder that lives in my pocket, and fire sticks.

The first aid kit is Coghlans Trek III and contains the following; Instant Guide to First Aid, one Cohesive Gauze 1” x 10 Yards, eight Gauze Pads 3” x 3”, four Butterfly Closures, 12 Fabric Bandages 1” x 3”, four Fabric Knuckle Bandages, four Povidone - Iodine Pads, six Antiseptic Towelettes, one Needle, one Moleskin 2” x 3”, 10 Mini-Strips, one Combine Dressing , one Triangular Bandage, two Safety Pins, one Roll Tape 1/2” x 2 1/2” yards, one Pair Latex Gloves, one Eye Pad, two Pill Vials 6 Dram.

I have added the following to the first aid kit; bug bite stick, topical anesthetic stick, tweezers, crazy glue, 6 motrin, 4 sinutab, and a better needle and stitching thread.

Drew Wiley

Bill - I was fairly cozy one Oct nite in Dusy Basin right below Mt Winchell and Thunderbolt
    Pk during a horrendous thunderstorm with some light snow and hail. Wondeful echoes off
    those huge vertical rock faces. Finally about two in the morning the sky cleared and the moon came out, then all off a sudden something hit my tent. Two dazed half-frozen guys
    were stumbling around and tripped over my guy lines. Turns out there had been up there
    roped to the side of appropriately-named Thunderbolt thru the whole ordeal.

Bill and Scott, your photos are worth a thousand essentials.

A hiker’s first aid kit deserves a thread of its own.

Scott, I especially like the steel & flint.

This is amazing, I never realised just how much gear I needed to go a few miles into the woods and take some pictures.....
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Drew Wiley

Some of you guys should study up on what Norman Clyde (aka Mr. Sierra) considered the
    essentials. I had a big hiking buddy back in my youth who had a similar list of essentials.
    It would include a cast iron skillet with grill, a double-bit axe, full fishing tackle, and plenty
    of fresh food. I remember him once pulling out of his pack a full ham, a slab of bacon, about twenty zucchini, three cantaloupes, and a small watermelon. He carried that load
    27 miles and up 7000 ft grade, right up to the last lakes below the summit of Mt Ritter.
    Norman Clyde was reported to still be carrying a similar huge pack right into his early 80's,
    along with his three ancient rollfilm cameras. Don't know how fast he moved at that age,
    but he was last seen with that pack about 40miles from the road.

http://www.spiritsofsilver.com tgtaylor's Avatar

Speaking of Dusy Basin, here's a photo that I took from inside my tent (over my feet) with a Pentax K1000 sans tripod. IIRC the exposure was 1/2 second on slide film:

I got a late start from Bishop and rather than continue to LeConte Canyon below and setting up in the dark with the mesquitos I decided to camp on top of the pass. The lighting was teriffic when I took this exposure but back then I wasn't as interested in photography as I now am and took a camera along merely to document my travels. Also camped on top of Bishop Pass that night were several guys humping kayaks over!

Thomas

Drew Wiley

I see Mt Agassiz and half or Winchell there, Tom. Lovely spot. There's some incredible mineral stain on rocks around that tiny creek there. I recently talked to one of the whitewater guys who carried a kayak over Bishop Pass down to LeConte, then rode it all the way down to Pine Flat Res on the other side, clear down the Middle Fork. Too bad those guys are so busy trying to stay aright in rapids etc that they can't take in much the view etc. He didn't even recall much about Tehipite. More of an adrenaline sport thing.
    But he did remember that wonderful 45-degree waterslide running almost the whole way from Dusy down to Leconte Can. I used to like camping right at the edge of the canyon
    there before the area got popular, with giant Langille Pk across the canyon resembling a
    higher-altitude version of El Capitan. Glad you were able to capture your memories.

A common thought among these posts is the importance of resourcefulness and preparation. As has been said, what's between one's ears is the best thing to use. I did, and occasionally still do, solo hiking and climbing. Good judgement and awareness of one's limitations are important. I've turned around several times after seeing conditions to be too risky to keep pushing forward and up. I've sat out thunderstorms under my tarp listening to the echoes of thunder between peaks looming over me. The desert constantly reminds us of our necessity for water. Many of us cannot resist the allure of raw wilderness and challenging terrain. Mother Nature is not always merciful, she exacts her price at times. The mountains, deserts, and forests will await a return trip.