Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Powder Flash

Foamer

Gun Powder Flash

In the past I've thought about trying to make some flash poweder to try with my old lenses an half plate camera. It's the one kind of flash I haven't done yet. The formula looks a little tricky, but I have had some college chemistry classes. My wife is a pharmacist, but I don't know if I could get her involved "hands on" in the project. She's the cautious sort. I was recently again inspired when I saw this photo:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:19...Flash_Lamp.jpg

Then, it dawned on me. Rather than going through all the hassle of making the stuff, why couldn't I just buy either some modern smokeless gunpowder, or some Pyrodex? Wouldn't that give me the same thing? I could carefully weigh out small amounts so I could calibrate the light output more consistency. Anyone done this?

Kent in SD
    In contento ed allegria
    Notte e di vogliam passar!

Re: Gun Powder Flash

Smokeless powder will be relatively slow burning and I suspect it will be impossible to get consistent exposures.
    Flash bulbs might be a better way to go.

I knew a guy a few years ago that took old time photos... lol Polaroid 55 with spray bottle of sepia toner... He used flash powder.... he made his own with gun powder and magnesium ... it was so bright that that you had to wonder if you got blinded by the flash. he claimed it added to the ambiance. LOL LOL it was more of a fire hazard

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

The magnesium produces the light. I don't think you could use smokeless powder to set it off, as smokeless powder is hard to ignite without a primer and an enclosed cartridge for pressure.
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

pyrodex / gunpowder is going to be lots of smoke and warm orange glow. Magnesium is what makes thing burn bright. Magnesium doesn't ignite too fast by itself, so that's probably why it's mixed with things that burn faster. I don't know exactly what makes flash powder, but I've played with magnesium and gunpowder separately. (I have used magnesium with thermite though)

Here's a Graflex flash gun ad I posted before, maybe can give a few ideas (source 1916 Graflex catalog at cameraeccentric.com)

Jon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	graflexflashlamp.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	72848
    my black and white photos of the Mendocino Coast: jonshiu.zenfolio.com

You're out of your mind!
    Wilhelm (Sarasota)

I have a hard copy of this book:

http://archive.org/details/photographicfact00wall

From this page you can choose the file format you want to download. I use the .pdf files. The chapter with formulas for making flash powders starts on page 339. Some of these chemicals are a bit difficult for individuals to order because they are pyrotechnic materials. Some powdered metals can be found on ebay. The old formulas preferred magnesium powder, but the book says aluminum powder can be substituted but doesn't burn quite as bright. It's still pretty bright, though. I've seen small pieces of solid rocket propellant burned, that used aluminum powder as the fuel component. It's almost like looking at the sun. Aluminum powder is a lot easier to get than magnesium powder.

Edit to add: Needless to say, these mixtures are hazardous to work with, because if a quantity of the stuff gets lit, it's impossible to put out the fire because it has fuel and oxidizer in the same mixture. And it burns incredibly hot, that's why it puts out so much bright light.

He used a cap to start the flash... i bet it was a black powder pistol cap... He kept a few fire extinguishers around for good measure....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC-0016.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	72871Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC-0015.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	15.5 KB 
ID:	72872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC-0014.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	72873

Agfa flash powder gun ... i found these pictures on ebay ... there is one forsale for about 15 bucks

look with "flash powder" as search words ...