Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Looking for lenses made by rodenstock and schneider for other brands

Re: Looking for lenses made by rodenstock and schneider for other brands

They sold lenses to most camera manufacturers. Alpa is another current one. But not all camera manufacturers put their name on the lens.

Calumet purchased lenses two different ways. They bought private label lenses that they called Caltar. Just like Sinar sold private lable versions called Sinaron. Calumet also bought manufacture's branded lenses that they sold as Rodenstock. They sold those for more then they sold the Caltar.

In the case of Linhof and Sinar those camera manufacturers tested the lenses and those that passed the test were marked with Linhof or Sinar's name (depending on which factory bought and tested the lenses). Alpa also does this today.

In the case of most other camera manufacturers the lenses were just labled with the lens factory name and not the camera manufacturer's name.

Quote Originally Posted by Nadar View Post
    Hi. I'm searching for buy lenses for my first 4x5 camera. I recently discover that schneider and rodenstock made lenses for other brands like Calumet or Sinar. Because I have low budget I'm trying to look for deals on ebay. This lenses are probably less know, so more posibilities to get them with cheaper price. So my question is which other brands have lenses made by schneider and rodenstock? Thanks
    This is your first LF camera?
    Any good quality lens by Rodenstock, Schneider, Nikon, Fuji, Caltar, Sinar, Wollensak, Kodak, Goerz, Ilex, Congo is going to blow you away with clarity and detail. Lucky you! "Workhorse" 210mms from the Germans and the Japanese are going for cheap at Keh right now. If your budget is really tight, eBay is probably the last place you'll likely save any money on a good lens.
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

For the record, i think that both Schneider and Rodenstock made lenses for Linhof, IIRC the names were Technikon and Technikar, but i could be wrong. All those names are too similar!
    Then Rodenstock made a few lenses for Graphic press cameras: one was a 270mm tele (Rotelar), then i remember a wide angle with unconventional FL (58mm?) and good speed, which i think retained the name Grandagon.

All those lenses are still very usable, and sometimes can be had for a nice price... but somehow i feel that you're looking for something less "vintage".

have fun

CJ
    have fun
    CJ

WTB (and pay good monet for):
    soft back cell for Ilex Photoplastic 5x7
    disks for Imagon 420mm
    5x7 back for Calumet C1
    5x7 conversion for Bi-System

for sale
    Photographica

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Ellis View Post
    That's not been my understanding about Caltar though maybe my understanding is wrong. However, FWIW I've never understood that Caltars are inferior or worse than average. I've always understood that they were identical to their name-branded counterparts except for the name. Obviously one Caltar could be inferior to one Schneider just as one Schneider can be inferior to another Schneider. But I didn't think there was some pre-brand testing under which Caltar got the ones that tested below average.
    The first batch of Schneider made Caltars (Caltar-S II and Caltar-W II) was made in December 1975: 100 x 65/8, 500 x 90/8, 200 x 135/5.6, 800 x 150/5.6, 600 x 210/5.6, 50 x 240/5.6, 100 x 300/5.6 and 50 x 360/6.8. That's 2400 lenses, there is no way that was anything other than regular production. These were Symmar S and Super Angulons. Interestingly although they were assigned serial numbers by Schneider none of the ones I have seen have serial numbers printed on them. There are also lenses branded as Orbit which were relabelled Schneider made Caltars (You can actually see the Caltar name under the paintwork on the rim).

While Rodenstocks and Schneiders are the most common lenses you will find don't overlook others like Fujinons and Nikkors. As long as you get a clean lens you will be fine. Leave all the testosterone laden mine-is-better-that-yours lens testing to the geeks. Try to find one in the 150-210 range which will also be the least expensive. Go to KEH to get an idea. Frankly they are your best bet.

Better still place a WTB advert here on this Forum's classifieds for a modern 150mm MC lens (or a range of possible FL's 135mm -210mm).

Ian

Caltar II-N lenses are identical to their Rodenstock Apo Sironar N and Grandigon counterparts and that goes for testing, too. They're sometimes extremely good bargains with mint copies being bountiful as they were often student purchased.
    There's also a really long thread from last year here that went into the methodology of how Rodenstocks and Linhof select versions were/are tested. I'm satisfied that the standard testing was exemplary. Too, for another imprint to be substantively better there would have to be a bunch of rejects somewhere and there's no evidence of that with later production lenses.

"there would have to be a bunch of rejects somewhere and there's no evidence of that with later production lenses."

No there wouldn't. Linhof, for example, tests lenses that have already passed all of Rodenstock's or Schneider's final QC tests. When a lens fails the Linhof test that lens is returned to the lens manufacturer who then sells it since it has already passed all of their tests.
    What Linhof is doing is picking off the best of the lenses that they test.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post
    "there would have to be a bunch of rejects somewhere and there's no evidence of that with later production lenses."

No there wouldn't. Linhof, for example, tests lenses that have already passed all of Rodenstock's or Schneider's final QC tests. When a lens fails the Linhof test that lens is returned to the lens manufacturer who then sells it since it has already passed all of their tests.
    Agreed. The rest is rationalization in action.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Salomon - HP Marketing View Post

That needs qualifying because Linhof weren't picking the best of all the lenses lenses only from batches.

Ian