Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any thoughts or stories on hiking ZNP's The Narrows...

Re: Any thoughts or stories on hiking ZNP's The Narrows...

If you don't see this (other direction) going upstream, you probably took the wrong fork:

I don't think it's possible to get lost going down canyon.

No problem taking a field camera in. Depending on the water level and your height you might get the bottom of the pack wet in certain spots but most of the hike is knee to crotch level deep for me. I've hiked in during the summer (June) and you probably want to wear quick dry shorts to stay cool. In the fall (October), I highly recommend fishing waders or waterproof pants. The water is cold. Again, depending on water level and your height chest level fishing waders would work. You can always fold down the chest part of the wader if they are not needed. On the feet I wear the 5-10 canyoneering boots that are rented or sold at the outfitter store in Springdale.

I do not use a hiking stick since I have the tripod in one hand already and I need the other hand free to brace against the walls where the water is faster. Look behind you as hike in. There may be a good composition that you just passed. The reflected light changes constantly so what light that was not there when you hiked in will look different when you hike out.

There is a 1 mile hike in on a paved trail from the parking lot so in the fall I carry my waders in until I get to the water. I prefer shooting in the fall with the color of the leaves changing. Try to pick a day with the least amount of clouds. The reflected light bouncing off the walls gives a nice glow.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Wong View Post
    No problem taking a field camera in. Depending on the water level and your height you might get the bottom of the pack wet in certain spots but most of the hike is knee to crotch level deep for me. I've hiked in during the summer (June) and you probably want to wear quick dry shorts to stay cool. In the fall (October), I highly recommend fishing waders or waterproof pants. The water is cold. Again, depending on water level and your height chest level fishing waders would work. You can always fold down the chest part of the wader if they are not needed. On the feet I wear the 5-10 canyoneering boots that are rented or sold at the outfitter store in Springdale.

I do not use a hiking stick since I have the tripod in one hand already and I need the other hand free to brace against the walls where the water is faster. Look behind you as hike in. There may be a good composition that you just passed. The reflected light changes constantly so what light that was not there when you hiked in will look different when you hike out.

There is a 1 mile hike in on a paved trail from the parking lot so in the fall I carry my waders in until I get to the water. I prefer shooting in the fall with the color of the leaves changing. Try to pick a day with the least amount of clouds. The reflected light bouncing off the walls gives a nice glow.
    Thanks!
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Drew Wiley

It's a popular hike, so they post the risk forecast at the Visitor Center and maybe at the
    trailhead too. I've only been a little ways up with LF gear, but it was just a matter of
    scheduling, since I've done other canyons with similar logistics. Teva-style nonslip sandals
    are preferred by some. But I personally have a set of slip-on rubber "water sox" with good
    wet traction. The big hiking boots go into a mesh bag, carefully clipped atop the pack.
    Then I always have serval thick garbage bags around all the camera gear and film etc,
    as well as essential warm clothing. I have slipped and gotten dunked a few times.