Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any thoughts or stories on hiking ZNP's The Narrows...

Any thoughts or stories on hiking ZNP's The Narrows...

with a field camera?
    "I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority"---EB White

Re: Any thoughts or stories on hiking ZNP's The Narrows...

You may want to look up Ben Horne's Blog, I believe that he has hiked the narrows and normally will keep a video journal of the hikes. Works with 8x10

Ive done it without much of a problem shooting outside of having people walk around a bend at an unfortunate time. Water levels each time I did it allowed for most of the small beaches to be exposed enough to place packs on them without getting in the way of other hikers- last time I did, it I went in with anothe LF friend and we helped out each other by sending a scout forward to kindly ask people to wait a second (which everyone did) and got some great exposures without people inadvertantly walking into them. My gear was an abbreviated 4x5 kit with wide to normal lenses.

And when is the best time of year?

Quote Originally Posted by JWebb View Post
    You may want to look up Ben Horne's Blog, I believe that he has hiked the narrows and normally will keep a video journal of the hikes. Works with 8x10
    I second that. Ben Horne does excellent video journals of his photographic excursions.
    Zak Baker
    zakbaker.photo

"Sometimes I do get to places just when God's ready to have somebody click the shutter."
    Ansel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Photo Dave View Post
    And when is the best time of year?
    Fall. It's an amazing place. Take a hiking stick.
    Those "waterproof" pant/boots for rent in town aren't so bring your breathable waders with felt/studded soles.

If the high season, don’t be afraid to get wet.

Wade in your hiking boots w/ common sense.

You’ll be okay, I promise.

I hiked it one October many years ago. Wet feet were inevitable so we wore rag wool socks and gaiters (to maintain a layer of warmth on the lower extremities). Caution and methodical working are necessary as one cannot afford to lose anything in the river. Wear warm clothes on top and have a warm hat handy. Be sure the forecast is for clear weather, flash floods (even miles upstream) are dangerous. Hiking poles are indispensible. It is absolutely beautiful and worth the experience. Plan accordingly and it should be a great trip.

The first time I did the narrows, I rented the waterproof pants and stayed bone dry (IM not very hairy, maybe that makes a difference)- since I have acquired my own waterproof pants- Kokatat makes them and REI carries them as boaters pants or something along that ilk. Waders would probably work fine along with felt bottom trout fishing shoes, but I do enough of this stuff and have a pair of 5-10 Canyoneering shoes along with a pair of neoprene socks that I use- my legs stay dry but my feet get wet and are initially cold and eventually numb over from the coolish water there- agreed that fall is the best time to do this type of thing due to convenience of being able to drive in and park, fewer people and some fall colors to boot. One last note- Im 6'3" and during my fall hikes there have had water as high as my butt with the pants doing there thing- thigh high waders would have flooded had I been wearing them.

+1 on the warm socks/wetsuit recommendation. Even in September with low-ish water, it was pretty cold.
    +2 on the trekking pole recommendation. The rocks are slick, and even with slow current, it can easily trip you.
    +3 on a bright headlamp if you are inside anywhere near sunset.
    +18 on checking the forecast. If it rains anywhere upstream, you can find several feet of rushing water headed your way within the hour, and it's lethal. No rain, and it's lots of fun. Remember to take a potty break before you start, btw.