Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Arlington VA for real & West Milford NJ in my heart and head

Re: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Bruce must have had some great design input. Here is the mail I just sent him (slightly edited):

[I]Bruce, you know how you order something, sight unseen but expecting the best, wait with excitement and anticipation for it to arrive and when the big day comes....you end up let down or happy but not completely so because there are some issues or things just aren't quite as expected?

Well not in this case. I am completely 100% satisfied and pleased. The system is better than I imagined. I found myself sounding like a teenager, exclaiming "oh wow...NEAT...who'd a thunk about that...." and on and on.

My big worry was that, due to my balance issues from my stroke I would never be able to use a backpack again and be limited to my car. My Lowe Trekker AW (sp) was too unyielding and heavy so was unusable. It threw me all over the place balance wise.

I took the P3 out fully loaded up for a one mile hike, including up and down a couple of hills and it was like the pack was carrying itself if that makes sense. It hugged my back with almost zero sway, the shoulder belts were comfortable where they passed under my arms, the hip belt rested on my hips without rubbing, it just FIT! And no balance problems, everything felt centered.

The Rpt P3 is the answer to a prayer. Bravo!

Thanks,

Bob Smith[/]

Sent from my iPad
    Bob

There's mosquitoes on the river, fish are rising up like birds. It's been hot for seven weeks now, too hot to even speak now, did you hear what I just heard?

I don't have the latest version of the backpack but the Kelty Redwing 3100, but I have to say everything I have gotten from Bruce has been top shelf in terms of functionality and value. These well designed products make hauling my gear past the "100 feet from the car" limit a non issue for me at 63 with bad knees, back and shoulder. Next week I am hiking into the Bisti.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Bob and Kirk - thanks for the kind words. The truth of it is, at 66 years old, I design for what I want and need. I'm just fortunate my wants and needs line up with others. Amazing how that works out....

Good Light!

Bruce
    Bruce

Aye, every time i go on serious hike away from studio, no matter which system i carry 4x5 or 8x10 - its beyound awesomeness. I remember how my shoulders used to hurt with Lowepro hauling mere 4x5 with 2 lenses.. When i Russia i did hike for hours away from roads, with 4x5, 3 lenses, clothes, water/food supply & etc.. It was fantastic and i still was able to get myself on the train and not collapse. when getting home, but rather change clothes and go to movies.

Not to mention customer support and actual real pride Bruce takes in how his products designed and should work.

My new RPT-P3 system is fantastic! The difference from the bags (expensive ones) I had bought previously is amazing. Bruce had already set the torso length to match my specified measurements. I never knew carrying 8x10 and all the trimmings could be so easy. The cascade system for my film holders works perfectly too. I have never been so well organised as I now am when out making photographs! An especially nice discovery was that with Bruce's generous offer to absorb the cost of the shipping, it brought the taxes and duty down accordingly. This meant that even after paying Her Majesty's Customs fees (£95) the whole outfit, including the 8x10 cascade, cost slightly less than the big Lowepro I'd been struggling with before! If anyone near me in the UK is thinking of specifying up their own RPT-P3 and its inner fittings to suit their own requirements and would like to see the system, to reassure themselves before buying, if they get in touch via PM they can visit me in Derbyshire and have a hands-on look.

RR