Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Re: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Bruce
    I have to agree with Kirk. I spent the last couple of months in New Mexico and North Carolina carrying my gear in one of your "OLD" packs. Thinking to myself what a wise choice I made several years ago stitching to your system, because it is so good. Now I find out there is something better. Thanks for your continued improvements.

I been awe of many folks with mine, while shooting around in Siberia last two months. Thanks, Bruce

I use an old F64 for my 5X7 Deardorff, four lenses, eight holders, meter, darkcloth, et. I handcarry or use a shoulder strap for my Gitzo. Having trouble on each of my sets of YKK zippers- I've blown out one side or the other of two of the three. I rarely go more than a mile with this back one way, but do have some longer trudges in the future as AIR at Grand Canyon. Your system looks pretty good. Maybe I need to upgrade. This pack has a belt I can nearly get tight enough, but not quite. I overnight out of it with very minimal gear- just a pad a sleeping bag cover.

Anyone know how to re-track a double YKK zipper? One side is still zipping but the other side is off the track.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7760.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	92.2 KB 
ID:	99936 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8245.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	99937 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8436.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	99938

Holders in the top, camera in the bottom, food and gear in the removeable side pockets. Pad on the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Little View Post
    Bruce,
    I'm assuming we can add a custom camera case. Does the P3 include a backerboard? Is the waist strap interchangeable?
    Thanks
    /Frank
    Yes, the P3 has loop material incorporated into the design. Backerboards weigh 8 ounces. The incorporated loop material weighs 2 ounces. You can still use backerboards with this pack if you are a multi-format, multi-kit shooter but I couldn't resist reducing the cost and weight of the backerboard.
    Bruce

My dilemma was finding a pack at least as good as the P2 at a reasonable Minimum Order Quantity without having to suffer through quality control issues and keeping the price somewhere close to the P2. You can imagine if I failed on any of those, I would ruin my brand's reputation.

I have been talking to the founders of Granite Gear since 2007 and all of their suspension options were too expensive. When the Air Current Suspension was released in 2011, it was like hitting the lottery: a suspension system within the price range and a factory that is already building packs for two premier brands! I sent 6 packs out to beta testers. At the end of the beta test, I offered to let them buy the pack at the prototype price or I would send them a prepaid label to return it. Two of them replied: You can have this pack back when you (pry it off of my cold dead body) and (pry it out of my cold dead hands). These were P2 owners who, as far as I know, do not know each other. All of beta testers were in agreement, we have hit the target with this backpack.

It took almost 3 years to accomplish this but I am confident my customers will agree that it was worth the effort.
    Bruce

Robert:

There is an REI store in Dallas. Call ahead to see if they stock the Granite Gear Blaze 60 backpack. If so ask them to measure your torso length and set one up for you. Load one up with weight equivalent to your equipment and walk around the store (customers do this all the time). I think you will be astounded at how much lighter the load feels.

Bruce
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    The bag is nearly identical to the P1 and P2. The difference is in the suspension. I have mounted the bag on the Granite Gear Air Current Suspension system. This suspension won the Outdoor Product of the year award and Backpacker Magazine Editors Choice award in 2011. You can see it at this link: http://www.photobackpacker.com/images/P3/p3.html
    Looks great. Do you have any more information or pictures of the new suspension on the P3? Is the suspension configured and attached like this the one on this bag- http://www.granitegearstore.com/Blaz...0-P309C67.aspx, with a 35lb load rating, lash points for pockets on the belt, etc? And is the P3 compatible with Granite Gear accessories? Thanks.

I am working on the pictures to provide more information. The suspension is that same as the Blaze however, the frame sheet is now from a stronger plastic and will get you into the 40+ pound range. The belts and Shoulder straps I sell are identical to the Granite Gear straps and are interchangeable.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Graham View Post
    Looks great. Do you have any more information or pictures of the new suspension on the P3? Is the suspension configured and attached like this the one on this bag- http://www.granitegearstore.com/Blaz...0-P309C67.aspx, with a 35lb load rating, lash points for pockets on the belt, etc? And is the P3 compatible with Granite Gear accessories? Thanks.
    Bruce

Sounds like a nice upgrade, thanks for the info.

Do or do not. There is no try.

Bruce, how does the new pack do against the "official" carryon size?