Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Re: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Your end of the market is pretty tiny frankly, but given that you don't seem to understand the real genius of PBP. You can buy their entire system or custom outfit the pack to your particular specks (partially or fully outfitted just for cameras) OR you can fully or partially custom adapt ANY backpack to protect your camera gear with a custom backer board. This is nothing at all like Lowe Pro or Tenba. It is not perfect but IMO about as good as it gets in terms of custom adaptability for a very diverse market.
    Last edited by Kirk Gittings; 17-Jun-2012 at 12:31.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Preston Birdwell

After much research, I am saving up for a Photo-Back-Packer pack. I have a Lowe-Pro and the pack itself is just too heavy--add camera gear...

--P
    Preston-Columbia CA

"If you want nice fresh oats, you have to pay a fair price. If you can be satisfied with oats that have already been through the horse; that comes a little cheaper."

Hi all

I have a Horseman LX monorail, 4 lenses, and the usual accessories and am currently using a large internal frame backpack lined with thick foam. This setup is heavy and doesn't use the space efficiently. Are the Photobackpacker backpacks adaptable to carrying monorails?

Cheers
    Tony

jadphoto

Tony,

I have a camera cradle the Bruce made for my Sinar F1. I put the camera (both standards at the rear of the rail) and cradle in the bottom of the bag with the rail on one side and pointing up. It "sandwiches" the camera with a lens in place and has two tie-down straps, one over the body and one over the monorail so that the camera doesn't bounce around. Works like a charm, but your Horseman might be some bulkier.

Contact Bruce, he is great about getting back to people promptly. He also seems to know the dimensions of every camera ever made off the top of his head.

JD

Hi Joseph

Thanks for your advice. The Horseman front and rear standards fold parallel to the rail - this gives a 'flat' package approximately 18"x13"x3'' - currently I cushion this between two pieces of foam (which can deteriorate if you pick the wrong type). The remaining equipment is fitted into hole cut into the foam - ok, but not efficient use of space. I'll contact Bruce for his ideas.

Thanks again

Tony

jadphoto

With my Sinar I keep the standards in the normal position and just slide them to the rear end of the rail. This makes the camera essentially an "L". The camera goes ass-end to the bottom of the pack with the rail sticking up along one side. Bruce's camera cradle facilitates this while protecting the camera. BTW, my Kelty is an old one but similar to the P-2 (3100cc I believe).

About a hundred years ago I had a Horseman LE and carried it this way in a back pack, this was long before the elegant solutions that Bruce offers, but even then it was workable. It also shortens set up time considerably over having to rotate the standards et al. I loved the Horseman, but really didn't relish carrying it in the field but as they say, "horses for courses".

Bruce can certainly help you come up with a workable (better?) solution to getting the Horseman out into the world.

JD

It took over a year but finally, the New RPT/Granite Gear Backpack is here. The bag is nearly identical to the P1 and P2. The difference is in the suspension. I have mounted the bag on the Granite Gear Air Current Suspension system. This suspension won the Outdoor Product of the year award and Backpacker Magazine Editors Choice award in 2011. Some of the Large Format Forum regulars participated as Beta Testers and without exception agree that this pack is a dramatic improvement over over the P2. The New P3 is 1.5 pounds lighter than the P2. Serving torso lengths from 14 to 22 and with gender specific belts in small, medium large and extra large, and shoulder straps in small med and large - You can achieve a fit not found in any other camera backpack. On top of that, the Air Current Suspension provides a heat reduction system while still keeping the load close to the users back. You can see it at this link: http://www.photobackpacker.com/images/P3/p3.html

Once again, thank you for your input.

Bruce
    Bruce

Damn it Bruce. Would you quit coming up with more good ways to spend my hard earned money????????
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    Damn it Bruce. Would you quit coming up with more good ways to spend my hard earned money????????
    The "never-satisfied" imagination never rests.......
    Bruce

Bruce,
    I'm assuming we can add a custom camera case. Does the P3 include a backerboard? Is the waist strap interchangeable?
    Thanks
    /Frank