Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Re: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

1-The daisy chain is very useful
    2- Would it be possible to have a smaller backer-board for the front pouch with configurable pockets and slots? Most of the small items I carry end up jumbled in the bottom of that pouch because there isn't enough room in the existing pockets.
    3- I use the handle often so not sure how much I would use lash points at the top. They would be useful though for adding a auxiliary pouch for longer hikes.

It would be nice to move the quick release buckles for the side lashes from the top front of the panel to the top of the side panel. With any weight in the side pockets the pockets slip around a bit when climbing over uneven terrain. It helps to cinch them down with side straps. It's possible to do that with the existing buckles, but they have to be unbuckled to open the pack.

I also though it would be great to have a some optional pouches that would attach to the belt. I have another pack with belt pockets big enough for an MF folder and a few rolls of film, and quick access to it is a nice touch.

Anyway, these are just trivial suggestions- I really like the existing design and have been enjoying the P1 immensely.

1) I have a P1, I use the external daisy chain, especially the bottom loop when attaching my tripod, would prefer just a couple of loops on the edge of the bottom below the outer pocket, would be more "rigid".
    2) I do not use the card organizer or the pen/pencil holders(do not like loose items), but do use the zippered pocket.
    3) There is a definite need for lash points on top of bag, again would help to secure tripod, etc. I use the top handle for a lash point.

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    For the P1 and P2 users, I have a few questions for you:

1. The external daisy chain that runs vertically on the outer pocket - Does anyone actually use this to attach gear?

2. The Card Organizer found inside the outer pocket with pencil slots, business card slots, a zippered mesh pocket - Does anyone use this?

3. Is there a need for lash points at the top of the bag?

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    1. The external daisy chain that runs vertically on the outer pocket - Does anyone actually use this to attach gear?
    Yes, I sometimes strap my jacket there with bungie cords. I could probably live without it.
    2. The Card Organizer found inside the outer pocket with pencil slots, business card slots, a zippered mesh pocket - Does anyone use this?
    It's a good place for pens, laser pointers (low light focus aid), the Calumet exposure calculator, and I think I fit a small grey card in one of those. I could probably live without it if there was a similar pocket, all of those things could be stuffed into a plain, larger, pocket.
    3. Is there a need for lash points at the top of the bag?
    That would be another place to put a jacket, possibly better than the daisy chain.

Drew
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/drew_saunders/

Thanks for your input. I will keep you posted.

Bruce
    Bruce

I'm a relatively happy P2 user. I like the daisy chain and internal pockets! Your individual board and holders are dead on!.

Bruce, I hope you get the new backpack right. Historically the number one complaint with photo backpacks has been they weren't as good as standard hiking backpacks. I have to say even the P2 is slightly off. The compression straps don't seem to be at the right points, the overall height is a little off, and it sits a little low without a very tight belt. Don't get me wrong it is better than any other photo backpack I have used, but just saying it is tough to get right. I could carry 100lbs+ in my Mountainsmith and even my older Kelty. I can't say the same for my P2

I have a P2.
    1. I like the daisy chain - but have used it only very infrequently (great for a pair of thongs [I think you guys call 'em "flip flops"])
    2. I use the mesh pocket area for a first aid kit - it is very assessable - the pen holders - never used.
    3. I can't see me needing lash points - but I don't overnight

Other stuff:
    I agree with the comment on the mesh side pockets and water bottle. Mine falls out pretty easily.
    I wish the backer board was able to be more securely fastened (one of the strings came off mine) - as it tends to slide down about an inch under the weight of the camera gear I carry. This makes things pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.
    I also would really like some belt pockets!

Thanks Bruce. Love your work!

Oh yeah, belt pockets. For small items that you don't want to have to take the pack off to access. I carry a Linhof viewfinder that I use to decide whether something is worth setting up for. I rigged a Tamrac case to the belt to keep it accessible but it is not ideal. Belt pockets designed for the system would be great.

Another datapoint of user feedback: "Not used" to #1 & 3, "Yes, do use" to #2.
    Also, second Dan's comment above about a pocket on the belt. something small would be great.

thanks Bruce, yours is a great product and glad to hear you're working to make it even better.

I am not a Kelty user, BUT:

My very old LowePro backpack has a tripod cup (to hold the bottom of the legs) that can be moved from the side to the back. I like this feature.

I like lash points—wherever. The more the better.

Just my 0.02.

Cheers
    Drew Bedo
    www.quietlightphoto.com
    http://www.artsyhome.com/author/drew-bedo

There are only three types of mounting flanges; too big, too small and wrong thread!

So I take it this gear is more like Lowe Pro or Tenba stuff rather than a truly professional back country / remote multi-mile, multi-day solution. Reason being that there is simply no room for gear that is far more important than camera gear like food, water, clothing, avalanche or climbing gear, etc.

Word of advice, develop a line of gear that is less one trick pony like. I can not wear a lens case if the going gets tough. This stuff *does* look like great on location gear for working out of, but there is already far too much of that. I am designing my own stuff at this point, becuse I need to able to take on an assignment for Outside and not be a liability to the rest of the party. Phenomenal outside imagery requires you to be there for a long time, if not live there. Gear like this does not allow for that to happen, period...

You might be wondering why I posted then....? Because unlike Lowe Pro, you seem to genuinely interested in user opinion which is great. So I was really excited to see what this stuff might be all about. But as it would turn out, it is more of the same haul it to a location gear, not back country gear.

Keep working at it, I have been shooting for a living full time for over 20 years and not a single company has come up with what I or a lot of us need.....and at least you are putting forth a good effort...;-)
    Last edited by Kodachrome25; 17-Jun-2012 at 10:44.