Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

I am getting close to a major breakthrough in the replacement for the Kelty P2 and P1 and will be finishing a prototype this weekend. I have a number of things to nail down before making the announcement but it is looking very promising for now. I am down to the details for the bag itself and would love some input:

For the P1 and P2 users, I have a few questions for you:

1. The external daisy chain that runs vertically on the outer pocket - Does anyone actually use this to attach gear?

2. The Card Organizer found inside the outer pocket with pencil slots, business card slots, a zippered mesh pocket - Does anyone use this?

3. Is there a need for lash points at the top of the bag?

Bruce
    Bruce

Re: Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Bruce: congratulations. I will be interested to see the finished product. As a user for several years of a Kelty/Photobackpacker setup, here are my opinions:

1. I have never used the external daisy chain and always wondered what its intended purpose was.
    2. My setup is old enough that the outer pocket is not compatible. However, I use a 4x5 film holder compartment inside my pack. I store my field notebook and extra notecards in the storage pockets and would miss it if it were not there.
    3. I have occasionally used the top side lash points to fasten my jacket when it got warm. Top lash points might be useful as long as they don't interfere with opening the pack.
    4: Unsolicited opinion: I usually put my stainless steel canteen in one of the side mesh pockets. On occasion it has fallen out, so to prevent its loss I have jerry-rigged a strap and clip. I am afraid to put anything else in these pockets lest they fall out unnoticed. Some sort of loss prevention would be useful, to me at least.
    Best,
    Dan

I'm not using your packs, but:

1) I like external daisy chains for attaching other gear (usually with carabiners). Such as sandals, or harness & nylon webbing to be used with a short rope to protect when working around precarious locations.
    2) yes, good to ensure always having business cards and model/property releases.

Bruce, I have the 3100, not sure how similar it is but none of the above for me. However I am never overnighting. The daisy chain looks cool however. Make sure it has an outer pocket that can be used for a water bladder like the 3100.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

How about an external frame version for the tropics? The current pack is soaked with sweat by the end of the day, and I am fighting heat stroke.

Hey,

I just bought one of these from you about 2 weeks ago. I've been testing it out.

1) Daisy Chain is not necessary imo.
    2) not necessary.
    3) i wouldn't mind lash points on top.

And for unsolicited stuff:

1) I'm attaching a tripod on the side of the pack. This works fine but I have doubts about the durability of the mesh.
    2) I'd prefer attaching the tripod to the back of the pack instead of the side.
    3) I'm sure there aren't too many people that want this but I'd love to get rid of the entire extra zip-pouch thing. I have everything I need in the main compartment and still have room for more.
    4) I wouldn't mind a shorter pack available. The pack is great, I can get a MQC, 3 lenses, 6-5x7 holders and a bunch of other stuff in the main compartment but I would also love a pack with a similar width and depth but less height. Some days I just want to go out with a smaller, lighter kit.

Bruce,

No to #1 and #3. Yes to #2 but not for pens, or business cards. I put small miscellaneous, photo equipment in it.

LJ Segil

Hi Bruce,
    A couple of thoughts. I do use the top lashes, always have plans that never actually happen to use the loops with some carabiners, and do use the inside pockets. I'd be lost without the side pockets but appreciate being able to remove them for air travel. Which brings me to my question: The P2 is technically to large for an airline carry on, though I have gotten away with it by removing the pockets, the upper row of cases, and tying everything down as tightly as possible to minimize the size of the bag (dimension is pretty much constrained by the backer board anyway). But it's tight, and if I ever got challenged I'm sure would have to check the pack. Any chance of a smaller pack specifically designed for air travel? Removable pockets, perhaps on the back as well as the sides, and a smaller or more easily removable backer board that could fit in a suitcase would be key elements, I think. As the total weight such a pack could carry would likely be less than a loaded P2 perhaps the harness could be simplified and decreased in size? Anyway, just some random musings. Regardless, your stuff remains the best gear going, amazing the way it customizes to whatever my needs may be at any time, and always succeeds in making me look dorky enough to embarrass my family such that they pretend they don't know me and therefore leave me to photograph in peace (big tripod hanging off the side of the pack does wonders for the dork effect).
    Thanks and best regards,
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Photobackpacker View Post
    1. The external daisy chain that runs vertically on the outer pocket - Does anyone actually use this to attach gear?
    Photo–wise, I find them useful for carabinering on spare shoes or sandals for "wet work".

2. The Card Organizer found inside the outer pocket with pencil slots, business card slots, a zippered mesh pocket - Does anyone use this?
    Photo–wise, I do think organizers of all kinds are useful if properly designed for today's accessories: iPhone/Pod, 3X5 notecards, hex wrench sets, eyeglasses, loupe, etc.

3. Is there a need for lash points at the top of the bag?
    Any bag with lash points for carrying extra gear, other than for accommodating tripods, is too small to begin with.

Caveat: I don't use photo carriers as they tend not to carry well and are over designed (with the possible exception of LF gear), as your posed questions suggest. I would add a simple easy to use tripod attachment system, if not already present.

.....and for this crowd, a pocket for geritol, ben gay, and wheels attached to the bottom.