Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Micro Contrast with Unsharp Mask in PS

Re: Micro Contrast with Unsharp Mask in PS

Quote Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
    I think some of you may be missing the point. For regular sharpening - yes - small radius - but the OP was talking about micro contrast which does require less sharpening and more radius. I use this technique and it works well.
    Yes... but sharpening and micro-contrast are very closely related and both are directly related to image resolution and subject matter. I find it difficult to believe that this is so widely misunderstood.

Yes, but what's your point? I am not misunderstanding.

If you've been working in PS since v. 2.0 then you'd understand my point. Digital sharpening ain't the same, but can be assimilated with, analog accutance.

Well I have used PS since before version 5... I do understand your point. Sharpness varies with subject matter...blah blah

Either try the technique or don't. I use it and it works for me.

Ramiro, I understand exactly what you're talking about. When I'm messing with digital processing I make extensive use of Photoshop Smart Sharpen with a radius of 64 pixels and an amount of 5 or 10%. This acts as a gentle image intensifier - sort of a cousin of modest doses of contrast or (in ACR) clarity - and serves a different function from the narrow-radius, high-amount approach that most people think of when you use the term "sharpening".

I work with various sharpening,,, at least 6 types,,, low amount high radius in certain situations kills any other type of sharpening, different strokes for different folks..

here we do selective sharpening and not overall sharpening as a rule, unless of course the image requires overall sharpening.... kind of like painting with a brush and too the OP's point you can create mid tone contrast with high radius sharpening,,, or you can use soft light,, or you could steepen the curve shape in areas and paint in,,, or you could bla bla bla ...

remember sharpening with masks in the photo-comp days so I think I trump v. 2.0 or Version 5... slight misregistration sometimes can work magic.

good lord...

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    With the same tool you can create a similar effect (makes me think of acutance). It actually creates a small amount of contrast in the edges (where shadows meet highlights)

Amount: 15
    Radius: 40
    Threshold: 1
    I use this a fair amount too. Except I use a radius of 60. So the naysayers can pick on me instead (but they should try it out first before they condemn...). It is useful for landscapes photos with too much haze or humidity.
    Last edited by Greg Miller; 27-Apr-2012 at 14:48. Reason: HTML fix

Quote Originally Posted by Ramiro Elena View Post
    With the same tool you can create a similar effect (makes me think of acutance). It actually creates a small amount of contrast in the edges (where shadows meet highlights)

Amount: 15
    Radius: 40
    Threshold: 1

I tried to show it in a before/after image but it is hardly noticeable. Many of you probably know about this already, I didn't
    By the way, this effect is very similar to what the Clarity slider provides in ACR.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Miller View Post
    I use this a fair amount too. Except I use a radius of 60. So the naysayers can pick on me instead (but they should try it out first before they condemn...). It is useful for landscapes photos with too much haze or humidity.
    I use this too. It's an excellent way to control micro-contrast and cut through a little haze. There's more to the unsharp masking tool than just simple sharpening people!

I find this tool is pretty image dependent. I find that most of my landscape work wants a radius around 20-25, and an amount around 20-60 or so. I have to flip it on and off trying to find what looks right while I adjust the settings, then I have to make a test print to be sure. The only sure way to tell what a filter means to a print is to make a print.

I suspect that the reason I'm using a smaller radius for this than many people is that I'm working on a drum scanned image file. But IDK for sure since I haven't worked with flatbed scanners much.

Bruce Watson