Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Etiquette Regarding Bumping WTB / WTS Ads In the Classifieds Section??

Re: Etiquette Regarding Bumping WTB / WTS Ads In the Classifieds Section??

Yeah, once a week is probably not often enough to upset anybody.

I can see FS ads getting bumped when there's a change, like a price drop, which might be more often than once/wk.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Ideally, there would be two separate sections, as in APUG. Sellers and Buyers get to look through their own sections.
    That would certainly be nice. I've thought of suggesting it myself.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Actually, since we're just talking here...

I really couldn't care less about how often people bump their WTB, WTT or WTB. What I'd prefer is that WTB post their "price range".

Brian... I understand your point. FWIW, I have two current "WTB" ads and will pay reasonable prices for either. I'm not looking for steals nor will I pay far too much. I just want "reasonable" deals. I just assumed that was understood?? To tell the truth, I don't have the time nor the patience to be "wheeling-n-dealing" anymore. If someone wishes to make an offer then let them do it in open forum. If I'm too cheap to buy it then someone else will. BTW, I've bought several items from members of this forum very recently and didn't quibble about their asking price... just replied to their offers with yes or no... and paid more than current market value on most of what I bought.

Older-N-Feebler (than me): I think it is assumed. My experience in responding to WTBs has been often contentious regarding price. You might not quibble but others do so in spades. Often, it seems, there are WTB postings where the requestor has no idea at all of the price/value of what they seek and that can make for some contentious discussions. Just recently someone posted a WTB for something I have and don't use but not quite willing to give away, so I asked what their price range was. In reply I got a somewhat snotty reply that yhey weren't interested in paying the "top dollar" that I was likely interested in. I'm sure even my interest in the lower end of FMV would have resulted in nothing more than negotiations to further reduce the price.

Brian... Yeah, I know. I may not be older than you... but probably feebler. To be fair to most buyers... most folks don't want to pay "top dollar". Who does? I'll pay a fair price for something specific I'm looking for. If I get a reasonably good deal then I'm thankful. BTW, I often stop sellers from selling too cheaply... even to me. I recently told a seller in the UK who offered to sell me a LNIB Nikon 9000 film scanner for $1800US, shipped to me, that his price was too low and he could do better. He didn't even thank me. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    I'll pay a fair price for something specific I'm looking for. If I get a reasonably good deal then I'm thankful.
    I'm with you on this... my feelings EXACTLY.

Unfortunately I've had enough, and seen enough, experiences with WTB where it hasn't been true. As you say... Go figure.

Brian... I don't feel dead-in-the-water yet. But... yeah... many folks do suck... both buyers and sellers.

I'll respect folks on APUG and will only bump WTB threads once per week on APUG and here on LFPI every 72 hours. I'll not be selling much on either forum but will offer things I have when others are looking.

That's what I say, "People suck." I often follow it up with, "... and I'm sometimes embarrased to also be a people!" I know for a fact that sometimes I really suck. Ha ha ha.

I like to bump things 2 or 3 times a day. That shows people i'm aggressive and professional in my salesmanship and people should buy from me with confidence. Creative use of fonts can help present a confident and assertive manner that buyers appreciate.

Another good salesmanship tactic that i like is to use one of my many secondary accounts with bogus names to chime in comments like "that's a great deal!!!!" or "mike's a great guy to deal with!!!!" or "wow i just paid twice that for one much worse condition!!!!".

So remember these simple rules of good salesmanship:
    * lots of bumps
    * creative fonts (and exclamation marks!!!!!!)
    * secondary bogus accounts

cheers,
    sergio
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

Brian... LOL!! Yeah, but I'm often an a-hole too... depends on my degenerative brain damage and alcohol consumption.