Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Square loupe

Square loupe

Jim Galvin died about ten days ago.

Square loupe

I am using a square 4x loupe covering a 6x6cm field, it is a Russian-made "Horizon". Excellent quality at an affordable price. There is an helical mount for fine adjustment of the image. Can serve to examine 6x6 images as well. I use it on the small ground glass of my Arca Swiss 6x9. Otherwise, Schneider 6x6 loupes are square... and expensive.

Square loupe

Mark - I have an Ebony 6 x 9 and use the Silvestri 6x (the one that comes with a hinged base). I bought it because of the same problem of seeing into the corners. But what I ended up doing is removing the hinged base from the loupe. I am quite happy with it this way.

The hinged base is too bulky to really get into the corners, tilted or not, whereas the loupe barrel with the diagonal cutaway will view the corners with ease. It is also easy to use square to the GG, or to tilt for wide angle lenses this way. The barrel itself is round but it is a relatively small diameter. The end of the barrel away from the user is half cutaway at approximately 45º to the GG, and half square to the GG.

If this is not clear let me know.

As far as "linen testers", some are good glass but most are garbage. I have used many over the years but not for this particular application. I am afraid I can't help you with brands or models.

Square loupe

Sal

Too Bad. I had read he was sick. I had contacted him a lot about my camera and he was always very helpful, prompt, and polite.