Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wista 45dx movements

Wista 45dx movements

Hello all,

This is my first post as I am new here

I am hoping for some advice, I am about to buy my first LF camera (other than the pinhole one I made) and I will mainly use it for landscapes and urban landscapes.

The Wista seems a good option because it is in my price range, light and has rear movements that press cameras lack. Because I plan to photograph buildings I would like to use perspective control.

I would like to buy a 90mm (f/8) lens but I am concerned that I won't get enough movement from the Wista, I understand that a recessed lens board and bag bellows may be necessary but the Wista doesn't have interchangable bellows system.

Does a field camera still fold with a bag bellows? Why not just use this? Whats the advantage of an accordion bellows when it limits movements when the focal length is short.

I won't be needing extreme movements but I would like to correct converging lines in buildings.

Thanks for reading this.

Benjamin
    ::stoneherbert.com::

Re: Wista 45dx movements

Consider the Chamonix. It has swappable bellows.

I've used a Wista 45DX since 1986 and it has plenty of movements with a 90mm f6.8 Grandagon or 90 f5.6 Super Angulon, it doesn't need a recessed board or bag bellows either.

Ian

I use my Wista DX for most everything anymore. I have a 90mm f/8 Super Angulon and a Fujinon SW 75mm f/5.6, both on recessed lensboards. I can easily vignette both of them, i.e., the camera provides more movements than those lenses can cover. I'm not sure you can mount the f/5.6 90mm lenses on a recessed board though...

I find the recessed boards an advantage on the DX, since without them, the bellows have a tendency to crease when using extreme movements. This doesn't really hurt them, but it doesn't look great, and, if you are not careful to collapse them correctly when folding up the camera, can result in other creases, which then make the bellows hard to fold up. I'd recommend the recessed board for a 90mm, although you should know that the controls for aperture and shutter speed will be difficult to reach. I use the end of the cable release to set f-stop and shutter speed as well as open and close the preview lever. I can still cock the shutter with a finger.
    An advantage to the Wista DX is that many small lenses will fold up inside the camera. BTW. get the DX and NOT the DXII, since the latter does not have shift capability. I believe there is now a DXIII that has a Graflock-type back, which would be good if you plan on using roll-film holders. It does have shift.

Hope this helps,

Doremus

"I'm not sure you can mount the f/5.6 90mm lenses on a recessed board though"

easily.

" although you should know that the controls for aperture and shutter speed will be difficult to reach. I use the end of the cable release to set f-stop and shutter speed as well as open and close the preview lever"

Not with the 001015 Linhof "Confort" board. Controls, as well as the aperture scale, are on the front flat part of the board.

"get the DX and NOT the DXII, since the latter does not have shift capability. I believe there is now a DXIII that has a Graflock-type back, which would be good if you plan on using roll-film holders. It does have shift. "

The DX, DX III, SW and SWIII all have rear shift of 16mm. The DX III and SW III have the Graflock back but the spring backs on the other models open so wide that any roll back can be inserted into them. Including Graflock type backs. The SW versions have an interchageable bellows. The others do not.

The Graflock back adds more then 1 pound to the total weight of the camera.

My Chamonix comment notwithstanding, I currently own a Wista 45DX, and a 90mm Schneider lens. I have no problem with coverage or with bellows interference (at least that I've noticed) in my use in landscape work. Maybe your mileage may vary if you use it in the studio and need more extreme movements, but for me it has been fine.

I am awaiting delivery of a Chamonix, not because I don't like my Wista, but because of a desire for shooting with longer lenses than the Wista can easily support. Plus, my Wista is getting old, the bellows, while still light tight, had seen better days even when I bought it well over 10 years ago. I intend to keep both cameras (how else will I take photos of my new Chamonix if I don't keep the Wista? ;-) ).

I think a Wista would be fine for you, but a Chamonix might be a little cheaper and a bit more flexible to your needs. You have to get on a waiting list though...

Thanks Bob for adding all the details I didn't have. It's good to know that the wider-aperture 90mm lenses will fit in a recessed board. And, of course, I was speaking of more "standard" recessed boards, and not the Confort board, which would be a great improvement for me, if I ever felt I could afford one

Best,

Doremus

The 45DX is really nice. I've had mine for about 12 years now and I also have other cameras (5x7's with 4x5 reducing backs, 8x10 & 11x14) but I would never consider selling it. Its always coped with any situation that I've assked it to. I did used to have a 65mm SA which just about worked but no tilts were possible (I never had a recessed lensboard). The 90mm SA works perfectly. Another vote for tha 45DX.
    Pete.

The 90mm 5.6 lenses all will fit a recessed board. The Rodenstock 90mm 4.5 can not fit a recessed board as it is in a 1 size shutter rather then a 0 size like the slower lenses.

Thumbs up Wista 45dxIII purchased!

Hi all,

Thanks very much for all the help. I ended up buying a wista 45dxIII with a 210 5.6 Schneider Symmar (1966) which is not the lens I want but it only cost me $600 - still less than a camera on its own on KEH or any other completed auction I have watched.

I figured I would practice with this until I find a 90mm!

Really excited

Thanks again