Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Indicating when an item has sold

Re: Indicating when an item has sold

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Hey Ralph... I fully understand. But for us old brain-damaged geezers who make mistakes and, far worse, make complete jerks of ourselves, we would certainly like to correct our mistakes and take back some of the stupid crap that we post.
    Back in the '80s when the Internet "went public" with Usenet News, one of the primary admonitions was to never post anything in anger, because it will be "out there forever". Not long after that, the Preview Button was invented. These remain good things to use.

One can always "report" his/her own post via the little triangle icon, and request deletion by a moderator. Unfortunately, that doesn't delete replies in which our original lapse of sensibility was quoted, however, nor copies archived on other sites. Once we've said something, it is still "out there forever".

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    ...and take back some of the stupid crap that we post.
    Simple solution...

Don't post it in the first place.

The Preview button gives you the opportunity to review your text before it goes public.

After that, you have a 2(?)-hour edit window during which you can revise or delete text however you wish.

After that, you're history.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Ralph / Leigh... Thank you and you're both right. However, you're assuming we all have constant control of our mental faculties. There are neurological disorders that cause some of us lapses in common sense and etiquette. I try never to post when I'm not "all here" but I sometimes don't recognize when I'm in that state of mindlessness. I guess I could report my own posts on the following day but I'd rather not bother Moderators with my old foolishness.

At any rate... I do think it would be nice to be able to edit the Title of a Classified Ad as "SOLD" or "FOUND". Anyone seeking historical data can still view those threads but those persons only looking to buy or sell wouldn't be forced to search the entire thread for "SOLD" or "FOUND". This isn't my forum... I'm just speaking from a Member point-of-view.

How about a subforum named "finished deals" or something where you move all threads to, still open for comments/feedback?

Leigh, the mods manage their own time; they can choose to modify a post to show the item has sold if requested by the seller, or they can simply tell the OP to post a "Sold" message in the thread, as I did in mine (the one you refuse to acknowledge with an appropriate apology). The fact that there were several posts in the thread for my item after the "Sold" message was posted simply means the suggestion of looking at the last post is not a foolproof method of determining if an item has sold. Perhaps that's why you missed it, Leigh.

It's clear that scanning the end of a thread requires more work than my suggestion of altering the post title by greying it out (or some other method); one could see at a glance which items have sold and which have not. It's also clear that looking at the last post in a thread may cause someone - LEIGH - to miss a "Sold" message posted earlier in the thread. Is scanning individual threads how you wish to use your time while online?

Once more, I make no requirements of the mods' time with my suggestion, as I clearly indicated the OP managing their own posts! We now know that the OP can do little more than ask the mods to make any alterations, and we also know the mods have set it up this way based on previous experience; they have put the extra work upon themselves by disabling editing capabilities after a certain time.

Now, Leigh, can you get back on-topic an offer a suggestion for indicating when an item has sold, preferably at the title level, as this will allow a forum member to determine the sale status of 25 (or more) items at a glance? If not, then kindly take Plato's advice.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
    Leigh, the mods manage their own time; they can choose to modify a post to show the item has sold if requested by the seller, or they can simply tell the OP to post a "Sold" message in the thread...
    There you go, putting demands on the mods' time again.

Why should they "tell the OP to post a sold message"???

If you're too immature to do it on your own, surely their suggestion would be meaningless.

As to making OT suggestions, I did that in post #5, which you apparently haven't read.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

Perhaps this horse has had a sufficient post-demise beating.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Perhaps way too much.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

SOLD. Thanks for looking!

I UN-SELL your sold. So... is the thingy still for sale??