Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Indicating when an item has sold

Re: Indicating when an item has sold

Brian,

I didn't intend to get off-topic. I do get confused these daze.

I understand your points and respect your opinion. I just don't like the whole world seeing my full name in open forum because ID theft is far too common. Anyway... anyone who sends payment will know who the seller is by full legal name and their physical address... or at least their PO Box. I don't see how using one's full legal name in open forum will help. Adding to that... who's to say a seller won't post under a false ID? And if payment is made through PayPal to an email address then the buyer still doesn't know if the seller is posting under a false name. I just don't see how any of that will help prevent abuse.

The practice has always been that sellers are encouraged to make a follow-up post indicating an item has been sold. Absent excessive chit-chat, it's a simple matter to scroll to the bottom of the thread to look for such a post.

We disabled thread editing (and, imposed a post-edit time limit) when we first installed this software in 2005, largely due to the number of people who would abuse that feature.

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángeles de Porciúncula

Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Brian,

I didn't intend to get off-topic.
    I'm OK with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Barker View Post
    We disabled thread editing (and, imposed a post-edit time limit) when we first installed this software in 2005, largely due to the number of people who would abuse that feature.
    Was there an indication at that time that it would be abused, or just your impression? If there's no evidence of abuse, why not allow it to see what happens? You can always disable it again if it is abused. Personally, I don't see much editing going on.

Also, given that "hot" threads appear red, do you know of a way to make the color grey? It will mean more work for the mods when a seller lets the mods know an item has sold and to "grey out" the post title, but I think it would help show which items have sold, which was my goal in suggesting the matter originally.

Quote Originally Posted by indy_kid View Post
    It will mean more work for the mods...
    You're awfully generous with other peoples' time.

This seems rather ironic, given that you're too lazy to post a Sold notice on your own, or look for same.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.

, I agree with those in the previous post that old posts should remain; deleting is not a good option. Keeping the old posts helps to build an archive of prices and comments regarding sold items.

Was there an indication at that time that it would be abused, or just your impression? If there's no evidence of abuse, why not allow it to see what happens? You can always disable it again if it is abused. Personally, I don't see much editing going on.

Also, given that "hot" threads appear red, do you know of a way to make the color grey? It will mean more work for the mods when a seller lets the mods know an item has sold and to "grey out" the post title, but I think it would help show which items have sold, which was my goal in suggesting the matter originally.
    We operate the forum based on the experience of having done so for close to 20 years. Under the old software, we did have instances where various members enjoyed starting fire storms by saying "X", and then going back and changing it to "Y". That problem is solved by not allowing edits after a reply has been posted, or beyond a given time limit, whichever occurs first.

Also, we don't make changes to the software because doing so complicates the process of installing vendor upgrades/fixes.

Hey Ralph... I fully understand. But for us old brain-damaged geezers who make mistakes and, far worse, make complete jerks of ourselves, we would certainly like to correct our mistakes and take back some of the stupid crap that we post.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh View Post
    This seems rather ironic, given that you're too lazy to post a Sold notice on your own, or look for same.

- Leigh
    I've sold just one item, the Toyo 810G (well, I sold the tripod from the Korona camera, but the camera is still for sale if someone ever looks back that far in the posts). If you took the time to look, Leigh, you'd see this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Item Sold.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	72816

I believe an apology is in order.

As for the mods' time, I made no requirements of it. I merely pointed out that it would require them to modify a post (grey out the title, etc., to show the item has sold) if they didn't allow sellers to modify their own posts.

Perhaps you should take Plato's advice, Leigh. Being demonstrably wrong doesn't make you look too wise, does it?

As for the mods' time, I made no requirements of it.
    Quite the contrary. Go back and read your earlier post.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.