Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: studio shutter video

studio shutter video

hey all,

i have been receiving many questions about a studio shutter and how they work, so i made a quick video. i hope you find it informative.

eddie

My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Lachlan 717

Re: studio shutter video

"This video is private"…

Any chance that you can un-private it?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    "This video is private"…

Thanks!
    sorry. fixed it!
    My YouTube Channel has many interesting videos on Soft Focus Lenses and Wood Cameras. Check it out.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

multiplex

eddie ... do you ever use the shutter as a non - bulb/time shutter ?
    i have had a few studio shutters, and they work great by flicking the long throw release

if you use a bulb release ( degroff ) ...
    the shutter blades open and close very fast ... i can get to around 1/50th or 1/60th S with a fast squeeze
    and 1/10thS or around there with a slow one ...
    and a long sustained squeeze of a bulb will ... keep the shutter open ( on BULB ) until you squeeze it again.
    lot of control, and really easy !

degroff cylinders appear on eboink all the time for just a few dollars, and coupled with bloodpressure hose + bulb ...
    (probably the best release money can buy )

Quote Originally Posted by Lachlan 717 View Post
    "This video is private"…

Thanks!
    hi lachlan, if you click on the little youtube icon by eddie's hand, you will be transported to youtube
    where it isn't locked-down ....

john

Lachlan 717

Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    sorry. fixed it!
    Thanks, Eddie.

Just need to work out a way to replace the missing cable release "bit" on mine. There's a thread here that shows a way, so I might try that.
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Great job Eddie ... Studio Shutter operation is a pretty common question and a video makes it soooo much easier to explain.

As far as speed is concerned, I don't think I've ever gotten faster than 1/5 ... maybe 1/10 ... using the "quick flick" method. But I shoot almost exclusively wide open . . . or close to it ... so that might limit speed.

I'd love to figure out a way to hit 1/50 of a second (I'm not familiar with a degroff bulb) . Anybody else been able to do that.

The open/close switch is also often missing . . . the switch itself is pretty easy to fabricate but the little shoulder screw that is used to hold it is impossible to find . . . Anybody know of a source . . . the usual online screw suppliers don't carry anything that small.

Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    eddie
    if you use a bulb release ( degroff ) ...
    the shutter blades open and close very fast ... i can get to around 1/50th or 1/60th S with a fast squeeze

john
    i will try it. i just need to find my little air tube adapter thing that screws onto the shutter.....i just had it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Graves View Post
    Great job Eddie ... But I shoot almost exclusively wide open . . . or close to it ... so that might limit speed.
    i checked the shutter. both wide open and stopped down gave me almost the exact same speed....right about 1/6.

My YouTube videos
    oldstyleportraits.com
    photo.net gallery

Wolly used to claim about 1/5th second with these. Obviously with smaller diameter aperture it may be a bit faster, but probably not much.

multiplex

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    Wolly used to claim about 1/5th second with these. Obviously with smaller diameter aperture it may be a bit faster, but probably not much.
    maybe ...

but i have made side by side exposures with a studio and copal shutter .. same everything .. soup too ..
    they looked the same, and printed the same ... ( i think i would have noticed a 2-3 stop difference ... )
    ive never had troubles with a degroff, and they work great with a betax and alphax and other shutters ..

Thanks, Eddie. I have never seen one, so it was good to see what the studio shutter was all about.