Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need digital camera for architecture w/shift wide-angle

Need digital camera for architecture w/shift wide-angle

Hello all,

Please don't attack me for asking about digital SLRs on this forum. I figure the real architectural photographers are here and will understand what I want. I do use a view camera for architecture normally, but may start working on urban design charrettes, a job that necessitates a lot of fast shooting of buildings and streets, and fast uploading into PowerPoint for immediate presentation. I have already done this with my little Olympus digital camera, and did my perspective correction in Photoshop, but the ability to use my existing Nikon shift lenses (28mm and 35mm) with a digital SLR would be fabulous. As far as I can tell the wonderful and affordable Nikon D100 takes them (with reduced features) but because the sensor is smaller than 35mm, my 28mm becomes a 42mm lens and the 35mm becomes a 52mm. I need the 28mm angle of view. The more expensive Kodak DSC Pro 14n has full-frame 35mm proportions and takes Nikon F-mount lenses, but reviews for its image quality are pretty poor.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas? A view camera is out, I have to work very fast. It has to be digital. At the moment I'm thinking I will have to stick with a non-shift lens and correct them later, but doing this to hundreds of images takes valuable time.

I can live without tilt for this purpose.

Cheers, Sandy

I'm not sure if you mean the view camera is out because of speed in shooting or in post, so this may or may not be usefull. Calumet (www.calumetphoto.com) makes a small a small version of their Ultima view camera that uses a dslr (or I suppose a 35mm slr) as the capture device. If you do a search for "Ultima" on their site you should see what I'm talking about.

Peter

Canon 1Ds + Canon TS-E Lenses? OK, different system, pretty expensive from where you are (nikon).

I think you should re-read the Kodak reviews. In good light with short shutter speeds (not in the multi-second zone), they quality appears extremely good. This sounds like it may meet your shooting conditions. The latest firmware revisions have reportedly improved thing as well. Many shops seem to have them for rent; if you have one nearby why not try it yourself?

Sandy - Most of the issues with the Kodak 14n have been resolved through firmware and software updates. Kodak may have flubbed the launch, but they have done an excellent job of supporting the camera and continuing to develop improvements. You should give it a second look, as the price has come down too. You can get a good idea of the current state of affairs on this and other digicam topics in the excellent forums at http://www.robgalbraith.com/

I wish to heck that Nikon would introduce a 24mm shift lens. Why have they left a gap like this in their offering? I guess they don't think it's crucial. Think about a 24mm, 28mm, 35mm shift lens capability on 35mm SLRs. That would be excellent for architecture.

As it is, there's also the Canon 24mm along with the Schneider 29.2mm shift lens with a Canon mount. And of course, the D1s! I'll just whip out my wallet and dig into my spare change for that one.

I think that the camera of choice for architecture is the view camera. But, it's also helpful to have a nice complement of 35mm lenses to go along for progress shots and the like.

Aren't there issues with CCD sensors in digital cameras not responding too well to light coming at an angle to them? If so, wouldn't shift lenses agravate the problem?

Olympus made a 24mm shift lens, I don't know if it is still available.

Take picture with a good wide angle digital compact straight on, take even two for wider angles.

Fix the rest on the computer: make the "A" to an "H"

Øyvind

Sandy,

My thought is that your best solution would be to find the best DSLR that meets your needs and then correct the perspective in photoshop. In our office we use a Canon D60 with a Tokina 17mm (I think) prime focal length lens. In photoshop we correct the perspective by pinching rather than stretching so we can maintain the highest resolution. The Tokina is a good flat field lens, however, if you have problems with pincushion or barrel distortion there are a couple plug ins that will correct this. Several of the photographers we use on our projects have taken this approach when photographing building details. In all honesty its difficult to determine which images were shot with perspective correction in the view camera and corrected digitally.

multiplex

hi sandy

i have been doing site work/ architectural and press photography with a d100 since about feb. i use a 18-35 zoom lens and if i have to, i fix in photoshop. others have suggested or at least mentioned the kodak dslr, i would stay away from it. from what i have heard speaking with repair folks (in rhode island at least) they say from their perspective ( pardon the pun) kodak is having lots of trouble and their cameras are sent to one facility 'somewhere ' and a pain to have repaired if something ever goes wrong.

good luck

john

What perspective control/correction plug-ins are you finding good in photoshop?

(not really dslr yet, but every now and then I could use it for a 4x5 or 7=8x10 neg that isn't quite right)
    You'd be amazed how small the demand is for pictures of trees... - Fred Astaire to Audrey Hepburn

www.photo-muse.blogspot.com blog