Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a 100mm LCD shutter for $400?

Re: Would you buy a 100mm LCD shutter for $400?

I think E, and others hit it on the head. If it affects visual quality at all, I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    I think E, and others hit it on the head. If it affects visual quality at all, I wouldn't be the slightest bit interested.
    Using the typical large mechanical shutter with a barrel lens generates a lot of vibrations. A LCD shutter, I'm assuming, generates no vibrations at all. If it degrades the image slightly I'm betting it's still better quality than the typical large barrel lens/large shutter setup that generates vibrations galore.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    Using the typical large mechanical shutter with a barrel lens generates a lot of vibrations. A LCD shutter, I'm assuming, generates no vibrations at all. If it degrades the image slightly I'm betting it's still better quality than the typical large barrel lens/large shutter setup that generates vibrations galore.
    Vibrations can be damped. Image degradation cannot be restored.

Besides, for $400, if I wanted a shutter that big I'd make a roller blind, or if it was winter and I needed a project I'd make something like a huge Copal square. Speeds faster than 1/30 don't interest me on an 8x10.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by domaz View Post
    ???? This is a rediculous assumption unless you have some scientific proof. The beauty of the packard is that all of the moving parts offset each other almost perfectly and there is really NO vibration.

In answer to the OP, I would have to say, I'd need to see how cumbersome it is, and evaluate whether there really is a need or not. Check my site. I've been able to make almost any image I ever wanted to make with 1910's technology. Not closed minded. Just need to weigh any real gains against any real losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Galli View Post
    ???? This is a rediculous assumption unless you have some scientific proof. The beauty of the packard is that all of the moving parts offset each other almost perfectly and there is really NO vibration.

In answer to the OP, I would have to say, I'd need to see how cumbersome it is, and evaluate whether there really is a need or not. Check my site. I've been able to make almost any image I ever wanted to make with 1910's technology. Not closed minded. Just need to weigh any real gains against any real losses.
    Big Compounds and Ilexes do generate vibrations. Anything that moves will.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Big Compounds and Ilexes do generate vibrations. Anything that moves will.
    Show me some science. Don't just state things unequivocally. Parts that get thrown radially outward and then radially inward offset each other for a net zero effect. I think you're wrong. But I'm willing to listen.....

Show me some science. Don't just state things unequivocally. Parts that get thrown radially outward and then radially inward offset each other for a net zero effect. I think you're wrong. But I'm willing to listen.....
    *sigh*
    I can't "show" you anything. I can type a description, though. Those parts that "offset each other for a net zero effect" are actuated by other parts that don't get offset. The ring that actuates the leaves moves fifteen or twenty degrees, stops for the duration the shutter is open, then moves in the opposite direction to close the leaves - which, by the bye, contribute their own little perturbations to the mix, their inertia causing the shutter to move slightly around it's fore and aft axis. In the case of a Compound, the mainspring (under the cocking lever) has an input to the complex vibrations of the whole shutter as it starts, pauses, and completes it's travel.

I can go on, but don't see the point.

Edit - Those four cylinder engines in Model A Fords have two pairs of pistons always traveling in opposite directions. By your logic, there should be no vibrations. So, why does a four rattle your teeth ?

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    *sigh*
    Edit - Those four cylinder engines in Model A Fords have two pairs of pistons always traveling in opposite directions. By your logic, there should be no vibrations. So, why does a four rattle your teeth ?
    Mine has a counterbalanced crank

Mine has a counterbalanced crank
    What does that do?