Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: Google drive

  1. #21

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Google drive

    Quote Originally Posted by D. Bryant View Post
    Ah, we are now in the 21st century.
    I'm well aware of that. (winking smiley)
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

  2. #22

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Google drive

    Quote Originally Posted by sully75 View Post
    Seriously? My photo files take up 1.04 Terrabytes at the moment. And I've been fairly inactive the last couple of years.

    When I was doing weddings, a wedding would be 30-60 gigs.

    100 gigs here, 100 gigs there, pretty soon, we're talking a lot of bits.
    I have perhaps 10 photos in my philes.
    My music is on vinyl or CDs, my records are on paper, my notes in notebooks. There's really nothing to put in the 'puter memory.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

  3. #23
    Mike Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    659

    Re: Google drive

    Quote Originally Posted by paulr View Post

    I have an eye on some open source projects that promise to give you dropbox-like versatility using your own server space. This would be ideal ... nearly unlimited storage, and no privacy concerns. The ones I found didn't seem quite ready for prime time yet.
    My server service (bluehost.com) doesn't allow for for general storage, the stuff you put there needs to be part of a website. They have interesting wording in their TOS, saying basically that bandwidth and space for content is unlimited, unless it's too much.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

  4. #24
    Mike Anderson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    659

    Re: Google drive

    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    I have perhaps 10 photos in my philes.
    My music is on vinyl or CDs, my records are on paper, my notes in notebooks. There's really nothing to put in the 'puter memory.
    Sad. And irresponsible - you obviously don't care about China's economy.
    Mike → "Junior Liberatory Scientist"

  5. #25

    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Montara, California
    Posts
    1,524

    Re: Google drive

    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    This is something I do not understand, how one could need this storage? In all the years I've had a computer - 6 years, I've filled 8gb on a 250gb harddrive.

    Aside from images, what are people storing that takes up so much space? I can understand a business, but not an individual needing so much storage.
    8GB would only be a few LF scans, a few large stitched images, or a short video. I have five or six *terra*bytes + back-up here. Music files add up quickly, too.

    --Darin

  6. #26

    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    3,113

    Re: Google drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Anderson View Post
    Sad. And irresponsible - you obviously don't care about China's economy.
    Well, I forgot to mention that I have some music on tapes, too. But it'a an Akai reel-to-reel, and the tapes themselves are from Japan. Japan is near China.

    I guess I'm just not a very good Amurkin.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

  7. #27
    jp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    2,683

    Re: Google drive

    25 Gigs would be easy to fill with some short HD video clips. Or the contents of three compact flash cards from my DSLR, which is ancient by current consumer standards. I don't store music on the computer at all. My photos and a little video do exceed 1TB though; a little pricey for online backup. I got my own backup cloud; a computer in another building with a 2TB drive I back things up to over a lan; don't need no steenkin terms of service.

    These 25 gig drop boxes are handy though for transferring files. Most people don't have an easy to share big files over the net. Email is only practical for a few megs.

  8. #28

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Google drive

    Quote Originally Posted by jp498 View Post
    25 Gigs would be easy to fill with some short HD video clips. Or the contents of three compact flash cards from my DSLR, which is ancient by current consumer standards. I don't store music on the computer at all. My photos and a little video do exceed 1TB though; a little pricey for online backup. I got my own backup cloud; a computer in another building with a 2TB drive I back things up to over a lan; don't need no steenkin terms of service.

    These 25 gig drop boxes are handy though for transferring files. Most people don't have an easy to share big files over the net. Email is only practical for a few megs.
    A YouSendIt account can work for some people, though the free accounts limit the file size and other features.

    The Pro/Business account is pricey but it works very well.

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    505

    Re: Google drive

    GBs and TBs of stored stuff?...does anybody edit anymore?

  10. #30
    Kirk Gittings's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Albuquerque, Nuevo Mexico
    Posts
    8,386

    Re: Google drive

    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    This is something I do not understand, how one could need this storage? In all the years I've had a computer - 6 years, I've filled 8gb on a 250gb harddrive.

    Aside from images, what are people storing that takes up so much space? I can understand a business, but not an individual needing so much storage.
    I gain about 2 terabytes a year of images.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

    "When did photography become a desk job?" Kirk Gittings 2009

    KIRK GITTINGS
    WEBSITE

    LIGHT+SPACE+STRUCTURE (blog)

Similar Threads

  1. Google Plus
    By r.e. in forum Business
    Replies: 64
    Last Post: 24-Oct-2011, 22:13
  2. Metadata and Google
    By Ed Richards in forum Digital Processing
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 20-Jul-2009, 07:05
  3. Google Checkout??
    By Harley Goldman in forum Business
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-Nov-2008, 05:54

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •