Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: um....? weirdness in this new negative

um....? weirdness in this new negative

created another neg. in camera yesterday and processed it today. There are some weird things on this...mystery to me. I'd bought this film holder from another photog who preloaded it with some ilford aerial film for me. That's what my first neg was too and it was just fine but this one? It is CRAZY looking on the edges. I'll have to do a contact print to tonight to actually see better what is going on I suppose but any thoughts? all these odd streaks in the image...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	freakynegative.jpg 
Views:	174 
Size:	99.1 KB 
ID:	72418

Re: um....? weirdness in this new negative

it is on both sides but more on the left as you see. - thinking it was a lens thing/something to do with what i was doing in positioning it/bellows position/coverage/ something - it is in the neg. itself.

A good scan of a contact print will help. Some preliminary thoughts:

Light leaks in bellows and/or holders can make strange patterns. They will be darker on the negative and lighter on the print than surrounding areas.

I recently developed some 8X10 negatives that were exposed 7 years ago and then sat in their holders well past the film's expiration date. The negatives had strange ripple patterns that I've never seen before and I'm pretty sure were caused by the long expired film. If the aero film you're using is long expired, that could be a cause.

thanks! I didn't have any issue with the first one - he sent them all at the same time, film he'd cut but this is a diff. film holder (he loaded 2 for me so I'd have some testing film) - 4 shots. curious to see what it will look like (may be cool but it's sure odd)

Format Omnivore Brian C. Miller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jessicadittmer View Post
    ... preloaded it with some ilford aerial film for me. ...
    My first thought that it was a double-exposure. But if it's old weird film, then of course that would be another major culprit. But since the film was free...

(Reminds me of a rhyme a friend told me: "We are thankful for the food we have et / it lie-eth in our bellies yet / it tasted kind of funny / but it didn't cost us money / when you're starving you'll eat anything you can get.")

If film cost is an issue, have a look at using x-ray film. It's really cheap, and there's plenty of postings about it and images made from it.
    "It's the way to educate your eyes. Stare. Pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something. You are not here long." - Walker Evans

i have some new ilford here, he was just being nice since I bought the holders and loaded some film for me to do some first tries LOL. I'm looking at the xray film option too (which makes hubby laugh since he is a radiology guy)...also will be trying some paper "negs" for fun as well.

It sure looks like a double exposure to me... the first one by the original owner who forgot he shot anything on it. It looks like a tuft of tall grass. The tall thing at the far left behind the grass looks like a wooden pole or tree trunk. I can't tell if the building in the background is part of the first exposure or the second. I think there's a second tuft of grass to the right of the child.

It comes up at about 3"x4 1/2" on my screen. I can't see anything.
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

thanks, i did print it but it was too weird...no idea - almost looks to me like the tree above me is projected into the image too but no idea why that would be or how that would happen- resembles the branches of the maple tree with sky behind that were above us while shooting. I set it aside for now LOL...

The tree being projected onto the film is a clue that there may be a hole in the bellows. It acts as a pinhole camera and projects a separate image onto the film. Put a film holder into the back of the camera, stretch the bellows out in a darkened room, and put a lit flashlight into the lens end of the bellows. The holes will show up.

Peter Gomena