Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rochester Universal - American Beauty

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rochester Universal - American Beauty

I am very pleased with this 1890s Rochester Optical Company Universal I just got. Though large field and studio cameras with sturdy, kitchen table leg standards are what most wetplaters look for, there is something about the refined size and quality of the dryplate era. This one is in wholeplate size, 6 1/2 X 8 1/2, which I'm sure will be a challenge compared to the 5x7 and 8x10 I usually shoot with film. It came complete with 2 dryplate holders in a nice canvas hard case.

After handling and owning several English cameras, I've come to notice they often nicer than the average American camera from the 1860-1880 period. Their wood is spectacular, their brass is inletted, The screws are all aligned. A typical American tailboard camera from the wetplate era has a frontier primitive look. But starting in the late 1880s, Rochester, Century, and a few others began to create some pretty nice competition. The mahogany on a high end Rochester or Century is top quality, as is it's finish. This Universal is an American take on the English style camera. It folds up very small, just a couple inches thick. It has a lot of bellows, rear tilt and front rise, and a 4" lensboard. It feels secure and substantial, with all that mahogany and heavy brass.

The condition is fantastic, you really have to hold it to appreciate the beautiful polish on that exotic wood. I'm going to try to shoot it this weekend.

Re: Rochester Universal - American Beauty

And some more for wood and brass lovers. Notice how the screws are aligned, not commonly done in America. They made many sizes from quarterplate all the way up to 17X20. It was their most expensive camera when they came out. This wholeplate size folds up about as large as a laptop case, and was priced at $43. http://piercevaubel.com/cam/roc/univ2.htm and http://piercevaubel.com/cam/catalogs...lp502.htm#page 4-5 for more.

That really is lovely.

Can I have it? (hopeful smiley)
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Lachlan 717

Nice, Garrett!!

What are the 2 bolts/nuts atop the front standard for?
    Lachlan.

You miss 100% of the shots you never take. -- Wayne Gretzky

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

Beautiful woodwork!

Guess I'm going to have to go through all my cameras and align the screws...
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Beautiful woodwork!

Nah, the traditional way over here was to use nails, then paint a screw slot on the head. Aligned of course.

Deardorff Sales and service

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Beautiful woodwork!

Noooooooo! Do not do that! Once the screw snugs down it is seated. If you tighten them to look pretty you will strip the threads that the screw has made. Even a half turn. I've restored many english cameras and have seen the issue with the threads first hand. When you put the screw back in it will not snug down. On english cameras you must replace the screw in the exact hole it came out of so it lays flush with the brass base. On early Deardorffs there is some evidence they tried this but saw it was not worth the effort.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Sorry E. Von, I haven't had it long enough yet. But I've got a nice Seneca Improved 8x10 I'd sell now!
    Lachlan, the front standard tightens down onto the rail with those knobs. The front rise is handled manually, locked in place with that little brass button to the left of the lensboard. It's really a cool camera.

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Sorry E. Von, I haven't had it long enough yet. But I've got a nice Seneca Improved 8x10 I'd sell now!
    Lachlan, the front standard tightens down onto the rail with those knobs. The front rise is handled manually, locked in place with that little brass button to the left of the lensboard. It's really a cool camera.
    Thanks, I have a V8 so don't need the Seneca. Whole plate is the smallest film to contact print, IMO, and one of those Rochesters with a nice 8 1/4" Dagor would be a great hiking camera.

Did the swing work as I thought?
    One man's Mede is another man's Persian.

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Thanks, I have a V8 so don't need the Seneca. Whole plate is the smallest film to contact print, IMO, and one of those Rochesters with a nice 8 1/4" Dagor would be a great hiking camera.

Did the swing work as I thought?
    Yep, that's my plan, put it in a laptop messenger bag, and take it on a Summer trip to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. IF I can get some working film holders going.....

I'm not sure on the swing. I can't figure out why else they have those 4 knobs on the bottom, with 2 inches of travel. Yet, when I tried to move one back more than the other, it was pretty tight and I didn't want to torque it. If you loosen them and just pull rearward, the whole back slides back easily. If you try to do it unevenly, the hinge points for the side bars are getting tight and libel to bend. So I'm not sure this one has swing. Hopefully someone who has another that definitely swings will speak up.