Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rochester Universal - American Beauty

Re: Rochester Universal - American Beauty

Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Thanks, I have a V8 so don't need the Seneca. Whole plate is the smallest film to contact print, IMO, and one of those Rochesters with a nice 8 1/4" Dagor would be a great hiking camera.

Did the swing work as I thought?
    Yep, that's my plan, put it in a laptop messenger bag, and take it on a Summer trip to Portsmouth, New Hampshire. IF I can get some working film holders going.....

I'm not sure on the swing. I can't figure out why else they have those 4 knobs on the bottom, with 2 inches of travel. Yet, when I tried to move one back more than the other, it was pretty tight and I didn't want to torque it. If you loosen them and just pull rearward, the whole back slides back easily. If you try to do it unevenly, the hinge points for the side bars are getting tight and libel to bend. So I'm not sure this one has swing. Hopefully someone who has another that definitely swings will speak up.

Mine is out of my hands while it is being modified, so I can't check on the swing issue presently.
    Kerik Kouklis
    www.kerik.com
    Platinum/Gum/Collodion

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    If you try to do it unevenly, the hinge points for the side bars are getting tight and libel to bend. So I'm not sure this one has swing. Hopefully someone who has another that definitely swings will speak up.
    The two nuts at the top that tighten the front standard can be used to get some front swing. Instead of locking the standard perpendicular to the rail there is enough overlap to set it at a slight diagonal. I don't have mine handy, but I seem to recall those other 4 knobs had something to do with how the camera folds and getting some more extension out of it. I don't think they are for rear swing although they may increase rear tilt by moving the box back further so it isn't hitting the bed. (Not sure of that without having camera in hand.)

Here's mine:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROC_universal_green_72.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	183.2 KB 
ID:	72649 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ROC_Universal_bellows_fan_72_faded_small.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	139.4 KB 
ID:	72650

I made the green bellows but it is just a tad too thick. The camera will still close, but it's really tight. I made a pattern though so I'll be able to do another fairly easily.

I have another Universal and a Carleton (that has a fancy brass tripod plate incorporated in the design) that need the bellows replaced.

I too really like the design and compactness of these English-style cameras.

This one is in wholeplate size, 6 1/2 X 8 1/2, which I'm sure will be a challenge compared to the 5x7 and 8x10 I usually shoot with film.
    I like whole-plate because it is a nice contact print size and as far as wetplate goes, it is the largest plate I can hold from side to side between my thumb and middle finger which makes it easier to load holders with a wet plate, etc.

Thanks Joe and Kerik, I think you're right, the back knobs are mostly to allow more tilt, and to help fold. But the front swing idea is great, that seems to work pretty well!

And Kerik, an 11x14 one would be amazing, nice bellows on your Joe. Did anyone notice there is no manufacturers white plate on mine? I think that's why I got a good deal on it, no one knew what it was.

Deardorff Sales and service

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sawyer View Post
    Beautiful woodwork!

Guess I'm going to have to go through all my cameras and align the screws...
    Noooooooo! Do not do that! Once the screw snugs down it is seated. If you tighten them to look pretty you will strip the threads that the screw has made. Even a half turn. I've restored many english cameras and have seen the issue with the threads first hand. When you put the screw back in it will not snug down. On english cameras you must replace the screw in the exact hole it came out of so it lays flush with the brass base. On early Deardorffs there is some evidence they tried this but saw it was not worth the effort.
    Ken Hough Deardorff Refinisher since 1982
    Deardorff Factory refinisher / remanufacturer 1982-88
    Deardorff Factory Historian 82-88
    Deardorff Cameras on Facebook
    www.deardorffcameras.0catch.com

Stuck inside of Tucson with the Neverland Blues again...

That's okay, Ken. Since Garrett explained,

Quote Originally Posted by goamules View Post
    Nah, the traditional way over here was to use nails, then paint a screw slot on the head.
    ...I just sanded the painted screw slots off my nails and painted new ones on, all lined up!
    "I love my Verito lens, but I always have to sharpen everything in Photoshop..."

FWIW, I forgot to mention that I drew the bellows pattern to scale in Photoshop and uploaded several image files of the stiffener pattern to my tumblr.com account. The image files can be saved and printed out onto stiff paper via an inkjet printer in case anyone has one of these Rochester models that needs a DIY bellows replacement.

I also decided to replace that green bellows I made. I made the next one out of an iridescent burgundy fabric.

Name:	Burgundy_ROC.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	207.2 KB 
ID:	72699

That's one of Reinhold Schable's meniscus lenses on the camera.

Name:	tumblr_lpsv8zm2JC1qmnn9io3_250.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	66.6 KB 
ID:	72698

Quote Originally Posted by Alec8100 View Post
    Nice!I also have some this type of nice stuff in my PC.
    I sure will must be next time post here...
    So far all your posts have been pretty random with nothing to do with LF photography. If this is the prelude to some kind of spam. You will be banned and everything you written deleted.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

at age 73:
    "The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep"

I decided on a perfect lens for this wholeplate Rochester. It's an English Style camera, so a Taylor Taylor Hobson Rapid View Portrait (RVP) should do the trick.

How much bellows draw does your camera have? I might attempt making a bellows with Joe's pattern for my ROC Standard WP camera. It came with a 24" bellows, but I never use more than 18" and would like to have a more compactable bellows for use with shorter lenses.

Beautiful camera, I'd love to find one like it. Mine is a studio or tailboard model, and yours is much more refined and practical for field use.

Peter Gomena