Thread: Hi all! New to LF, and new to film too!

Hi all! New to LF, and new to film too!

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a few weeks, trying to absorb as much info as I possibly can about large format photography. I've loved shooting pictures for a long time now, and growing up in the age of the digital camera, that's mostly what I've used since I was a teenager (though, first digital camera I ever used was 0.9 megapixels and took floppy disks!). I remember shooting film as a kid, but ended up getting a digital SLR, and proceeded to take hundreds of pictures everywhere I went, and I got lost in the avalanche of files.

Anyway, a friend of mine had a Toyo monorail camera that he hadn't used in a while, and gave it to me for a long term loan kind of deal. Bought a 100 sheets of TMax, an HP processing tank and jumped in! I also just ended up buying a Zone VI camera to take out into the field with me this summer (Isle Royale, Alaska, Montana). I'm looking forward to all the great resources on this site, and hope I can get some feedback on my shots.

Here are a few of the first shots I've taken: (they are just negatives scanned on a flatbed scanner, so, not sure how they will look once I contact print them.)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scan 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	106.1 KB 
ID:	72515

Name:	Scan 3.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	82.3 KB 
ID:	72516

Name:	Scan 6.jpg 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	72517

Name:	Scan 8.jpg 
Size:	117.1 KB 
ID:	72518

Re: Hi all! New to LF, and new to film too!

Hi, and welcome aboard.

Shots look good.

A word of caution re this and other fora: Everybody's different.

Second word of caution: Everybody's different.

Definitely do ask questions and request opinions and advice. That's how we all learn.
    But analyze the responses, and realize that while a particular one may be correct for the author, it may not be for you.

It's like Fords and Chevys.

Take pix and have fun. It's art and science combined, not necessarily in equal proportions.

- Leigh
    If you believe you can, or you believe you can't... you're right.