Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the wave - secret location?

the wave - secret location?

this is from a yahoo "snapshots - best photos of the week ending feb 17th"

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/snapsho...329423423.html

"Photographer Simon Byrne was one of the lucky few given the secret location of a stunning sandstone formation called The Wave. Simon needed a special permit before he was given "rough guidelines" to find the phenomenon in a remote area of Arizona. Located somewhere in the 112,500 acre Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness, the Wave is near the Arizona and Utah border on the slopes of the Coyote Buttes. (Simon Byrne/Rex USA) "

I've never been there, and I know there are a limited number of permits per day, but is this really a secret location?

Re: the wave - secret location?

Probably this:

It is here The trail starts in Utah but the Wave is in AZ ( a few hundred yards in) Look towards the bottom right of the map! Hope that helps ya!
    http://www.zionnational-park.com/map-paria-canyon.htm

"special" permit, I like that. He must be a special photographer.

The location of the formation commonly known as "the Wave" is certainly not secret. However, permits are limited and in that sense are "special."
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Typical dishonest b.s. to make the photographer appear more special than he really is. There are only about 5 billion photos of the wave out there in the world and they pretty much all look the same.

From a friend that has been there, Done that!

"You can google "coyote buttes north permit" to get to the BLM site. They give 10 permits per day by lottery over the Internet and 10 more on the day before you want to go by another lottery at the BLM field office. You have to be present at 9 am on the day before you want to go. This month there is an article in National Geographic about the area, and it has created intense interest.

The BLM signup lottery is conducted three months in advance, and there are hundreds of people who sign up for one of the 10 permits each available day. If you show up for the day-before drawing, anytime after the middle of March, there will be a hundred or more waiting around for those 10 tickets.

I was there earlier this week to pick up my tickets for Coyote Buttes South, which is much easier to get into, and they said that the day before, they had not given out all of the walk-in tickets for Coyote Buttes North, but that morning 20 people had showed up for the 10 tickets.

So, if you're gonna go, I recommend that you do it soon and still your chances will be small.

Sorry for the bad news. On the good side, you can get into White Pocket without a permit, and CB South is relatively easy to get into, although those tickets are going fast too because of the NatGeo article."

So now you know!

A secret location, no it is not. One of the lucky few, yes. I think I have donated my 5 bucks applying for online Wave permits at least 10 times so far and so far I've been one of the unlucky many to come away empty handed.

We've got a better one http://www.waverock.com.au/rock.htm