Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is the killer scanner for everything?

Re: What is the killer scanner for everything?

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk Gittings View Post
    You can pick up a good used drum scanner like a Howtek in the 3-5K range that will exceed the capabilities of an Imacon-not nearly as convenient to use however.
    I'd have to sell an awful lot of stuff to afford a $6-12K scanner. I'll probably never shoot enough worthwhile images during the remainder of my life to pay for one so I'll probably just pay for drum scans of the handful of images that I might, or might never, make. But... $3K is more tempting...

currently Boulder, CO; formerly Seattle, WA.

Imacon's are nice and convenient and do a decent job. I made 40x50 inch prints from single sheets of 4x5 on a 949 and an X5 for several years. I was pleased with the results, though I never liked resing up the files....or all the dust.

Recently I acquired an Aztek DPL 8000, and I can say its a vast improvement. Beautiful and huge files, and the option to scan 8x10. Granted it was not cheap, but it really seemed like the way go and I have no regrets. And I was able to set it up on a modern PC, with modern SCSI card, and modern software (DPL), so I am very happy with the investment.

Oh, and while wet mounting is not as easy as the Imacon magnetic holders, it is really not as hard as many think, and I think its rather fun. And now my dust spotting time is like 1/5th of what it used to be.

Anyway, Just my opinions of course...
    ----------------------
    http://adamsatushek.com

Quote Originally Posted by cabbiinc View Post
    My HP Scanjet G4050 does an alright job with 4x5. I'd like to trade it for an Epson V700 or V750. But if you're really into it maybe a drum scanner is more up your alley. Too rich for my blood though.
    well.. 4050 isnt all bad sharpness wise. (1:1 crop)

Untitled-1 by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

(1200 dpi scan from ilford, vuescan)

scan0002www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr

but it does have issues with DR - Epson is a bit better. I just went this route too.. after having two epsons dying, i got 4050, and then finally microcenter had decent deal on v700 ..

I have a beautiful ColorGetter 2 Pro drum scanner, used for customers film from 35 to 11 X 14 in chromes almost dailyD. Nothing else beside another drum scanner even comes close. I just finished a series of landscapes (Nepal) at 30 X 20 in on Canson Baryta from 35 mm (Delta 100) with wonderful tonality, detail, and almost invisible grain for example. On the other hand, it takes a real commitment in time to learn to make the "elephant sing", as well as $, technical skills and space.

SergeiR, I'd say that HP's G4050 isn't unusable for web use and is actually really good for proofing/viewing your negatives. But if you want to pixel peep you may want to move up to a much more expensive model. The HP scanner is however a great price for those that want something new that scans 4x5 (or 8x10 even), keeping in mind that any museum prints would be made from other scanners/services. Having a properly exposed and developed piece of film really does help though.

plus 1 to Frank

Epson 750 for up to 22inchx18 Black and whites - once you are on the top of the learning curve, colour I tend to send out for drum scanning - the Dmax is so much better, but monochrome does pretty well on a flatbed

none of the gallery owners or punters can tell the difference at this size - larger images I drum, but that only means 20 drum scans a year - more time for making pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Trius View Post
    I am using the 750 for web stuff (both 4x5 and 35mm) ... I have pretty good darkroom darkroom experience, so I have a foundation. While I haven't really dialed the Epson in (I use VueScan) or tried printing, I'm pretty happy with it. Seems to work well with VueScan.
    Almost anything will work fine for the web. It's printing that shows the importance of a good scan. I assume you bought your 750 with the intention of eventually printing because VueScan and the 750 are major over-kill for the web (and IMHO major underkill for printing 35mm except possibly postcard sizes).
    Brian Ellis
    Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way when you do criticize them you'll be
    a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Slightly OT (maybe): I keep seeing reference to D-Max and I know what that is. But I have a question about it. Why can't one extend scanner D-Max by making two scans... one for shadow detail and another for highlights... then do a simple two-image HDR composite?

silverfast and vuescan have optinos for doing this - multipass, however you don't always get lucky as the V750 isn't that accurate with its scanner carrier - so multiple passes can lead to blurred images

That's too bad about the V750 multipass inaccuracies? Are no fixes available for that?